Favorite Freshwater SCHOOLING Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Black Skirt Tetras are normally fin nippers. Don't put them in any tank containing fancy finned fish. The same can be said of Serpaes as well.

Tiger Barbs make a beautiful display in a species specific tank, but they delight in torturing any other fish. They are hyper-active and WILL nip fins. The same can be said of Rosy Barbs as well. Rosy's and Tigers can live in a together in a sort of limited truce.

Neons and cardinals make for great displays. Cardinals have the added advantage of not being susceptible to NTD like neons are.

Glowlights are great shoaling fish. They don't lose color over time and I have never noticed them as being any more prone to diseases or problems than any other fish.

Guppies make great group displays but they can be disturbingly prolific.

Danios are my personal favorites. Very active, not not generally aggressive and safe with other fish.

I also like Harlequin Rasboras, White Cloud Mountain Minnows, Bloodfins, Lemon Tetras, Head-and-Tail-Light Tetras and Checkerboard Barbs (best color in this group).

Shadowraven said:
Black Skirt Tetras are normally fin nippers. Don't put them in any tank containing fancy finned fish. The same can be said of Serpaes as well.

Just added 3 more skirts to the tank. Now there's 6 skirts and one betta... Still no nipped fins. The tetras have been in for 3 weeks. ;) they hardly even nip each other now that the school's complete. Just sayin.

I cant choose between my Sterbai Corydoras and my Pristella (x-ray) Tetras

Attachments

• image-151128680.jpg
    image-151128680.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 88
  • image-3676949127.jpg
    image-3676949127.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 74
Just added 3 more skirts to the tank. Now there's 6 skirts and one betta... Still no nipped fins. The tetras have been in for 3 weeks. ;) they hardly even nip each other now that the school's complete. Just sayin.

Well I think that's the exception and not the rule. Like I have a betta a dwarf gourami and live together happily but that's not usually the most advisable thing to try. Black skirts are one of the most, if not the most, notoriously nippy tetra out there, so mixing them with anything with flowing fins should be done with caution and back up plan IMO/E.

I'd have to say my fav schoolers to watch lately are my dadios and mosquito rasbora :) My fav shoalers, since those are being mentioned a lot as well, would be the trio of my hasbrosus cories, hastatus cories, and oto cats, that all shoal together. It's pretty cool!

Back
Top Bottom