Favourite/Most Suitable Cory?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

captaincritical

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everyone,

I'm still thinking through the future stocking of my 35g community tank, and I'm having a hard time deciding on a type of cory.

I don't have sand as a substrate but my gravel is definitely rounded and has no sharp edges. Would this be okay or should I be considering something else?

What's your personal favourite cory variety and why?

Your substrate should be fine for Cory's, I think some emeralds would look great in the black, sane with albinos, just keep gravel clean as well as water, I'm sure you will, you seem pretty up on the game thus far;)

Wear it proud, I show my co workers my fish pictures all the time, they think I'm freakin nuts haha

So, I assume from what Brookster said that your substrate is black. I agree that albino would look awesome. I have kept a good handful of different cories, and most of them act pretty much the same. lol. I currently have panda cories on black sand, and I have to say they just don't pop that much. I personally feel that brown cories (ie, C. elegans) clash with the black too much, so I would skip those. I vote albino.
I also agree that gravel is fine. I believe that most stories about cories not doing well on gravel are bred from improperly kept tanks, or other occurrences and the gravel just takes the blame. Don't worry about it, just keep the substrate vacuumed.

Cories are one of the few where you can base it solely on looks. The only other factor that might come into play is size if you had a smaller tank.

What about those bright orange cories I have heard some mixed reviews on them in terms of whether they are natural or not. I have black sand and my Agassiz Cory don't really stand out at all.

Orange lazer cories are cool, but pretty spendy. The only species I know of that is orange is indeed a natural species.

Yea I've been doing research to find one that will stand out on black sand I really don't want to switch out my sand again. Good to know they are natural but I haven't looked at prices I did guess they would be costly.

My favorite cories are Punctatus, they are white with black spots. similar to a Julii cory except they are a brighter white. I bet they would look totally awesome on a black background.

Albinos creep me out with those alien red eyes...

I vote Sterbai! Black on silver with orange fin streaks. Cool little fish. I have Schwartz cories and those are fantastic too if you like the masked look but don't want tan bodies. Any black/silver cory would look great, though.

Threnjen, I just looked up corydoras punctatus and they're lovely! I'll have a look to see if we have any around here - I have my doubts, but it's worth a try. Thanks!

Tnfinfan, I'll admit the albinos aren't my favourite looking fish either, I'm with you on the alien eyes. I didn't realize the Sterbai cories had orange on their fins. They're really neat! They get a little bigger than the others we've mentioned, correct?

Back
Top Bottom