Featherfin cat lonely?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mommachef

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a featherfin squeaker cat in my 110 gallon ( african cichlids) that I think is lonely. I also have a pleco (whom is not my favorite fish in the tank because he's a dirty thing. Lol), and did have 2 clown loaches that I just lost last weekend to what I believe was ich. Ever since the loaches died (him and the loaches would hang out in the same cave together) my catfish has gotten very shy and doesn't come out every time he sees me by the tank, I have to bribe him with peas to put his little sail up. I feel like he's sad and depressed that his buddies are gone! I've read that they are social and like to be kept in pairs with other synos, but then I have also read that they don't like being kept with others. I'm thinking of getting him a new friend, but now I'm not sure what I should look for. I would love another synodontis (of any kind, there are so many cool ones out there), but if it would cause problems for him I'd keep him as the only one and look for something else. Any thoughts or suggestions? Anyone want a dirty pleco?? (Lol just kidding, my hubby would be pretty mad at me if I got rid of "his" pleco, although I keep threatening to every time I gravel vac!)

Attachments

• image-1248567487.jpg
    image-1248567487.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 74
I thought the same thing about my featherfin! So I bought another. They don't like each other lol. They now have their own territories and if the smaller one dares come near the other's- he gets chased off quick smart!
I also have upside down catfish, and although the featherfins are more tolerant of them than they are of each other, they still pretty much just seem to see them as competition for food and territory.
Featherfins do like to hide in caves and watch their surroundings. That seems to be just the way they are. Mine only get busy at feeding times. Then they are frenetic!
Maybe your guy is actually happier now that he has the cave to himself?

maybe! they didn't share the cave all the time, just every once in a while(the loaches still each had their own separate caves). They would all swim around for a bit and then go hang out together. Haha He went from being super active all the time to now he just chills out in his cave all day. His appetite is still good so I can't be too concerned I guess! :)

Back
Top Bottom