featherfin synos: do they get along?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maxkolbe

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I Was at petsmart and saw that they had a sale on their feather fins and almost bought two to go with the one I already have but stopped and decided to get AA's opinion first. I have a sixty gallon (48 inches wide, 12 deep and 24 high). With a variety of African cichlids (a cobalt blue zebra, 2 red zebras, a yellow lab, and an unidentified peacock) that all get along well as well as a featherfin syno. If I introduced two more feather fins would they get along with the one I already have or would there be territorial issues? If I do get them they will be introduced with some more cichlids and I will redo the rock work. Thanks for the help! :)

Forgot to say with one possible exception this is an all male cichlid tank.

Synodontis catfish are nocturnal so while your amazing cichlids are trying to sleep the catfish will be swimming around. This will stress out your fish.

Well some syno cats can get up to 12" long and even bigger.... Make sure you do NOT get 3 of those types. And about the whole stress issue, i dont think that will be a big deal because i had a syno cat in a 40 gallon breeder with tetras, angels, hatchets, etc and they never seemed to mind. Im sure your cichlids wont care either

From experience I have noticed my featherfin appreciates being solo. Now it can be different if they were added at the same time. The nocturnal thing is partly true, but not true enough to keep them out of cichlid keepers tanks. They are a little more active at night but not enough for the cichlids to care one way or another. Do you have a pleco? If not, and if you want another bottom feeder, that's a good option. My syno and pleco are buddies and cruise the tank together always.

Back
Top Bottom