Fed up with canister filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dalto, thanks for the suggestions. I'll follow up on them. Birthday coming up, maybe wife will give the green light.

I use HOB's ( Aquino Qietflow ) 2 on every tank in the house . I have 30,50and a 90 g and I have no problems , with my back as it is I can't get down all the time to tend to a canister , I did use a canister on the 125 salt water I had

For a tank that size, I'd consider a wet/dry filter (sump). They do a great job of cleaning a tank and aerating the water and they are super easy to clean without touching the biological media. I had a canister filter but I found it difficult to clean and just doesn't do the job that a sump does. At least for that large a tank.

I use Eheim canisters on my 150 and 90 gallon tanks. I recently took out of service 2 Professional II filters which have been running for over 20 years. They developed leaks from the priming buttons and I figured it was time to move on and replace them with new ones.

As someone else mentioned, it is essential to lubricate the o-rings with silicone grease every time that you service the filters. This will help you avoid leaks. I also sit all of my canisters in dish basins so that I will hopefully notice any leak before it hits the floor.

One big advantage that canisters have over HOBs is that they can handle a little sand. I have 9" geos which spit sandy everywhere. The other advantage is that they are extremely quiet.

Ended up getting the fluval c4 on amazon. Ty for all the helpful responses.

Back
Top Bottom