feeder fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigmac1878

Aquarium Advice Activist
feeder fish is a phrase i've seen come across a lot. what does it mean? i have an idea but i'm not sure.

TIA

Feeder fish are generally goldfish that are used to feed other, larger fish. So - a feeder fish is any fish that is specifically fed to another fish.

that's a bit harsh. that's what i thought it was. why is this done and what are the benefits? none for the fish that is fed obviously

It's kinda like buying live crikets for some pet lizzard, or when i hatch baby brine shrimps to feed to the frys. Ya I know it doesn't sound nice having fish bread just to feed them to other fish. Some people keep quite large fish, like some catfish or arowanas. I guess some of these fish just won't eat flakes, or they eat so much of it that it's probably worth it to just buy a live fish for it to eat instead.

survival of the fittest (or biggest) i suppose. maybe i'll have a bit of sympathy for the daphnia as i watch my fish go mad and chomp away

Some people actually make attempts to breed feeder guppies for other purposes like developing new color strains.

Kind of like the test dummies for these colors? Like those that didn't come out with the right color would end up as feeders?

I used to use feeder fish about once a week I had an Oscar, a snakehead, and a shovelnose catfish in a 125 when I was new at the hobby. I used to be so happy to see my fish eat them (sorry if that sounds harsh) Now that I am a little more experienced I know that it is not the nest option. A lot of people think that it is good for their fish; however this is not always the case. Most aquarium fish will eat non-live food unless you get them custom to live food. Feeder fish actually pose a greater risk for disease and parasites IMO, or at least from what I have learned from people like the ones here on AA.

Mike469 said:
Feeder fish actually pose a greater risk for disease and parasites IMO, or at least from what I have learned from people like the ones here on AA.

The exact reason I breed my own. Pair of convicts put out enough fry to keep my guys happy. Though the feeders are more a treat and not the staple.

the little 29 cent goldfish you see at pet stores are feeder fish,m they are bought cheap and fed to large fish like oscars, arowanas, etc. they usually kept in such large groups in the tank that they become diseased, its a sad life for that little fish

Back
Top Bottom