Feeder fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MitcherNeaf

Aquarium Advice Regular
Was wondering about using my little tank for feeder fish, I am going to have 3 balas in my tank and would like to maybe breed feeder fish, is this more work than it is worth? or is it a good idea to breed feeder fish in my little tank and keep them in there until it is time to feed, and if so what are the best feeder fish for balas. Should i use the little ghost shrimp or some other type of fish. something easy to breed hopefully.
mitch
also, whre can i find a good fish index, that tells you what to feed them along with pH and also what fish can go along with them in a tank.

More work that it's worth IMHO. If you really want to breed and feed live fish to the balas I would used guppies. Feeder goldfish aren't really feasible to breed (it's kinda hard) and it'd take forever. And you'd need a large tank. Guppies can bred in a 10 gallon and will do it regularly.

You can google any fish and find info on it. Here are AA we have some fish profiles. You can also check out www.fishprofiles.com.

how big are the balas?

feeder fish are not good as a steady diet for fish. they are more of a treat then anything.

oh just kind of a treat, ok then i guess ill just stick with buying them for like 29 cents a piece, thanks for the info

It is alot better to feed them homegrown live food, as the FS variety can be very "dirty". How about a live earthworm culture, will balas take worms? I have found Convicts breed FAST and ALOT, but the fry get spiny rayed fins as they reach an age that they may make a meal for a large bala, could be dangerous fot the balas, you'd have to research that one, plus Cons need a large tank. But I am SURE guppies would breed for you. Like waterpond said, I did it in a two gallon...

If you really want to produce a lot of little fish for feeders, I highly suggest convict cichlids.

I'm still trying to get rid of all of my extras that survived after the fish that was meant to eat them died.

Anyone want some free convicts in Birmingham, Alabama?

Back
Top Bottom