Feeder fish from bait store

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crusch

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was wondering if anyone could see anything wrong with feeding my fish feeder fish from the local bait store? I was just thinking it would be alot cheaper than the LPS.

If you QT them first, set up a 20 long and observe for a while, We feed them to our fish at work, no issues.

I agree with WhiteDevil. I don't think the risk would be any higher using the ones from the bait store than the one's from the LFS. I say this because the company that provides the bait fish are in it for a profit so they want to keep there fish healthy to avoid death (financial) loss.

As with feeding any feeder fish, I would use the same precautions as used when introducing new stock to the tank.

Thanks everyone, Thats about what I figured but was looking for another opnion. Thanks again!

I know that the LFSs around here will refuse delivery if the feeder stock looks sick, that might not be the case with buying from a bait store. I'd ask them their policy on sick stock deliveries and I'd also go with the QT. I'm planning on breeding my own feeder guppies and we have rosey reds in our koi pond for just this reason.

The only feeder fish I feed my fish are like guppies and swords. I don't trust the LFS for feeder fish.

The feeders from the bait shop are cold water fish which typically have a much higher fat content than tropical fish. It's recommended not to feed them to tropical fish for this reason. Your best bet is to get your fish off of live food. What fish are you feeding these to? The next best thing would be to breed your own feeders.

The feeders from the bait shop are cold water fish which typically have a much higher fat content than tropical fish. It's recommended not to feed them to tropical fish for this reason. Your best bet is to get your fish off of live food. What fish are you feeding these to? The next best thing would be to breed your own feeders.

I'm feeding a red tail barracuda and a rocket gar both of which pretty much won't every switch to non live food.

How big are they CR?

If you set up a tank, you can convert a bunch of them to warm water and feed them higher protein less fat foods. A fish is only as healthy as what it eats, It would be worth it, you can also collect them from streams and shallow rivers and do the same, the wild caughts are not fatty fish at all.

I'm feeding a red tail barracuda and a rocket gar both of which pretty much won't every switch to non live food.

Hujeta's can be trained to take prepared food. I had mine on krill and pellets. It just took a while and a lot of discipline on my behalf. Never tried it with a RTB.

How big are they CR?

If you set up a tank, you can convert a bunch of them to warm water and feed them higher protein less fat foods. A fish is only as healthy as what it eats, It would be worth it, you can also collect them from streams and shallow rivers and do the same, the wild caughts are not fatty fish at all.

My cuda is 6-7 inches and my rocket gar is 5-6 inches. I've tried the guppie breeder tank i don't have the patience and my fish are to hungry. That does sound like a good idea. I guess i'll be needing a minnow trap!

Back
Top Bottom