Feeder shrimps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PCooper

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I saw some feeder shrimps for sell in my lfs. (not sure what kind of shrimp, maybe ghost shrimp)

Do you think is safe to feed feeder shrimps than feeder goldfish to your fish?

Does the feeder shrimps carry diseases also??

The tank that they keep the shrimps looks really clean.

I have no experience but say go for the shrimp all the way. Goldfish are known for being messy fish (pooping out more amonia) - shrimp are known for cleaning up your aquarium. Because shrimp are more biologically different they are less likely do carry diseses that can also be caught by your fish. For instance - I'm guessing that since shrimp have an exoskeleton they can't carry ich and other skin baddies. This is all just guesswork on my part so if someone else knows better please chip in! Oh and most likely you are right about them being ghost shrimp.

I'm sure they can carry disease, but I still think they're safer than feeder fish. I've bought dozens of ghost shrimp for my puffer over time and aside from an internal nematode that infected a particularly large shrimp (see my gallery for a pic), I've never had any problems with them.

I've never had a shrimp infect any of my fish in any way.

I saw the same thing just last week. A tank full of ghost shrimp. Never knew them to be a feeder type 'fish'. I always thought they were cool to have cleaning the bottom of the tank.

Madame_X, your shrimp nematode is legendary - I refer to it often!

I think ghost shrimp make fine feeders, but be sure to maintain a variety in the diet.

TankGirl said:
Madame_X, your shrimp nematode is legendary - I refer to it often!

Oooh, legendary... I like that. :mrgreen:

All I know is I'll never forget when that sucker decided to remove itself from that shrimp. 8O Eeeeeeeww...

Back
Top Bottom