Feeding a Large Red Devil Cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikeybabs

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello guys, next week I am buying a red devil cichlid already full grown (approx 10"?) and I was wondering what I should be feeding it...

Currently I have new life spectrum 1mm sinking pellets for my smaller cichlids, could I feed the big guy those? Or should I get a larger pellet? The only fish that will be in the tank is the red devil cichlid, and he will be in a 54 Gallon corner tank...

thanks everyone :)

That tank won't be big enough for a red devil IMO. And, you realize that if you do try and put one in there, you won't be able to keep any other fish, right?

Yes I do realize that, but on some sites it says a 50 gallon would be minimum for a red devil cichlid? So how come a 54 gallon wont work? I am only keeping that one fish in there... What about feeding? I understand an oscar would outgrow a 54 Gallon, but I've been told by numerous people that a 54 Gallon should be ok for a red devil? Thanks

If it were a 55, it probably would, but the fact that a corner tank isn't 4' long and doesn't really have much swimming room, I just wouldn't do it.

hmm, what reasons? aggression? if he's alone shouldnt it be ok? what problems will i face? he can go back and forth in circles in the corners? lol, it seems like a big tank, but i dont want to have any problems arise so im glad im asking here

thx

can you suggest an alternative stocking idea? thx :)

For stocking any fish of decent size the tank's length is always more important than depth, obviously making sure they have amble space to turn without bending.

As far as stocking what about some of ideas from your 54g stocking thread, if you research some of those recommendations you'll be happy.

If it were a 55, it probably would, but the fact that a corner tank isn't 4' long and doesn't really have much swimming room, I just wouldn't do it.

ok well, what about this idea? move all my mbuna cichlids from my 4ft 55 gallon to my 54 gallon corner tank? and then put the red devil in the 55 gallon 4ft tank? or would the 54 gallon not work with africa mbuna malawi cichlids (electric yellows, johani, red zebra) thx

For stocking any fish of decent size the tank's length is always more important than depth, obviously making sure they have amble space to turn without bending.

As far as stocking what about some of ideas from your 54g stocking thread, if you research some of those recommendations you'll be happy.

I checked them out a bit but my heart didnt set on any of them yet... and some of them seemed too big for my tank (none of which you recommended i believe)

should i just make it a community tank instead? id prefer to go with one large fish but it doesnt seem like that option is ok for me :(

ok well, what about this idea? move all my mbuna cichlids from my 4ft 55 gallon to my 54 gallon corner tank? and then put the red devil in the 55 gallon 4ft tank? or would the 54 gallon not work with africa mbuna malawi cichlids (electric yellows, johani, red zebra) thx

Mikey, I know the feeling of wanting large fish..I keep oscars, red terrors, and jags all of which hit the 12-16" range, but the length is very important due to size of these fish. I would keep the mbuna in the 55g as well since they really do require a 4ft tank too.

How about Firemouth's, Honduran red points, or certain Eartheaters. Would be cool in that tank, with all of those hitting the 6" range.

My friend has his in a 1000 gallon show tank and when they eat they will make a mess of water all over the floor they are really mean he may hit the side of the tank hard when you feed him

Mikey, I know the feeling of wanting large fish..I keep oscars, red terrors, and jags all of which hit the 12-16" range, but the length is very important due to size of these fish. I would keep the mbuna in the 55g as well since they really do require a 4ft tank too.

How about Firemouth's, Honduran red points, or certain Eartheaters. Would be cool in that tank, with all of those hitting the 6" range.

Thank you Hukit, however I have my heart set on the Red Devil but will consider these fish you mentioned...

Does this help: The local fish store says hes actually done growing, because he has not grown for the past year, and he is actually 8 inches, not 10... considering the fish you mentioned are 6 inches, wouldnt an 8 inch full grown fish be ok in a 54 gallon (especially considering hes done growing?

Thank you :)

Thank you Hukit, however I have my heart set on the Red Devil but will consider these fish you mentioned...

Does this help: The local fish store says hes actually done growing, because he has not grown for the past year, and he is actually 8 inches, not 10... considering the fish you mentioned are 6 inches, wouldnt an 8 inch full grown fish be ok in a 54 gallon (especially considering hes done growing?

Thank you :)

I don't think he's done yet, they usually reach 10-12" and I've seen larger. Once they hit the 8-9" range their growth slows. If you get him I would start looking for a tank upgrade, I think the best set up for him would be a 75g. I think he'll b find for a short time but wouldn't leave him in the 54g long.

Thanks hukit... What do you consider a short time? At what length should I move him? And assuming he's full grown then what? (I'm not saying he is full grown, you could be right)

If he truly doesn't grow any more I'm sure he'll be fine for a while. I just don't like when big fish don't get room to stretch their legs. A 54g is a cool tank but not for large cichlids. But to answer your question if he gets any bigger I'd move him.

Let's see some pictures of him after you bring him home.

Last edited:
Thx:) I'll keep an eye on his size... I've talked to the fish store owner and he thought it would be ok... :)

Back
Top Bottom