Feeding a Spotted puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

papastew

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My spotted puffers eat like horses and they are only about an inch long. I am trying to figure out what to give them to keep their beeks worn down. I put a few fiddler crabs in the tank with them and they did eat one of them but don't seem interested in them anymore. I know that they will go after snails too but I would want to start breeding them before feeding them or it will become a little expensive. I did purchase some dried shrimp for them and they love it. Is it enough to give them shrimp or is it not hard eough to really do anything?

I've been told that anything with a shell (including shrimp and krill) is helpful, but snails are a must to grind that beak down.

You can try ghost shrimp until you get your snail population going. My South American puffer sometimes eats them, sometimes leaves them alone.

I wouldn't worry about snails becoming expensive, though. You just want to use the small common snails that many consider a nuisance, and they breed quickly!

Yeah I know once they get going they breed quickley but I really don't know much about having snails.

Back
Top Bottom