Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-02-2003, 02:20 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducas005
He told me they actually prefer those worms (I think they were called tubifex worms or something like that) to flake.
Tubifex are just black worms, btw :]

I love the fishes cause they're so delicious.
Sati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 05:13 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Okay so I was unable to find the Frog & Tadpole Bites, but I did find something I'd like to try. Whole Bloodworms "in a nutrient rich gel". It's made by Tetra and is basically supposed to be whole bloodworms in a ketchup-like packet. I figure even if the frog doesn't quite like it, the bettas and / or goldfish will.

I could have gotten tubifex worms but the cubes seemed kinda big and I was worried that the betta might over-eat with it in there.

Old 11-02-2003, 07:04 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to madasafish
Wouldn't worry about this too much! And don't get sucked into paying a huge amount for highly specific frog foods. They love tubifex and blood worms, but if you're feeding them the tubifex, break it up first. The individual freeze-dried worms will make it to the bottom of the tank.

Personally, I think bloodworms are a great, and not too expensive, option. I don't know anything about the gel, but I do know that when they come in regular freeze-dried form (not cubes, like tubifex) they're quite popular.

Also, remember that these frogs are quite hardy. It's not an excuse for mistreatment, but it does give a little leeway for diet. I wouldn't stress out too much.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:06 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hi,
I've got 2 ADF's in a 10 gallon tank and they seem to love shrimp pellets. The pellets get soft and both froggys eat heartily. I also use carnivore wafers, I break them in half and they like them also. The frog and tadpole bites are so small I didn't think they could find them in the gravel. I've noticed that when they see me at the tank now, they come right up to the glass and will follow my finger. Cute little guys.
What suggestions do you have for algae eaters to put with the frogs that won't harm them but will keep the tank algae free.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:10 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ferret Send a message via AIM to ferret
Smaller pleco varieties. My current favorite is rubbernosed (Possibly the same as rubberlipped, haven't had a chance to compare). Petsmart has them as 'nosed', usually near the cichlid tanks with clown knives :P Max size is about 4-5in. They look really cool too.
Old 11-06-2003, 12:56 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

African Dwarf Frogs are meat eaters and they will definately appreciate frozen(but thawed) bloodworms. This is the food of choice for all the frog people I met when I got mine. However, it's also important to give them somewhat of a varied diet. The froggie food by HBH is also good and my frogs will take shrimp pellets on occasion as well.

Just remember that the frog is competing with the Betta for food in your tank, so make sure he's eating. Fish are quicker to find and eat the food than frogs.
Old 11-06-2003, 01:37 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

I've tried to keep him fed. He's been hanging out on a plant thats floating at the top (growing out for another tank) and I dropped in plenty of flakes and freeze dried bloodworms and some where RIGHT AT his mouth but he wouldn't eat them.

I am assuming if he gets hungry enough he will eat anything I put in there. Just hope that turns out to be true. I asked when I got him what they had been feeding the frogs and they said flakes. So I also assumed he would be used to flakes and eat them without a problem.
Old 11-06-2003, 02:16 AM   #18
yv1
Aquarium Advice Activist

I would recommend the live worms, my frogs wouldnt touch anything but live wriggling worms. They would pig out on them gulping a clump of 6 at once. They should be available at any independant fish store for like $1 an ounce. Good luck!
Old 11-06-2003, 02:26 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

Theres only one pet store here and they don't have live worms.
Old 11-06-2003, 06:18 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

hello all,

I'm keeping three of the little guys in a separate tank (the last addition to my tank collection....), as they don't get enough food if you keep them in a normal society aquarium. Mine might be even worse cause it's a guppy aquarium.

nonetheless - I've never heard of frogs eating flakes; mine won't, and in general, in the frog forum I know and in the other aquarium forum, people say, they can only feed worms, be it frozen or live, or other frozen stuff, or naturally live daphnia. Most of the opinions I had was that artificial food is quite difficult. I haven't had much experience with the compressed stuff like pellets, but flakes are probably not the right thing.

I wouldn't dare to give flakes in a society aquarium, there are two reasons:
- they cannot really "eat" flakes. once the flakes get to the ground, they fall apart into small and smaller parts. the frog who is snapping to get a piece is creating water movement around its head so that the fine parts get swished away, or they fall apart again. instead of landing in its mouth. (just watch once, you'll know what I mean.)
- any other fish will have eaten flakes before the frog even notices them, unless you really overfeed!!

My smallest frog almost starved to death when he was in there with the guppies. Now guppies might be worse than other community fish, but really, have a close look at your frog. I really doubt that you can keep it with a "normal" fish, unless the fish is sort of "on valium"

good luck!
silvia

Tags
african, african dwarf frog, dwarf, dwarf frog, feeding, frog

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com