Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-18-2003, 09:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to treenab Send a message via MSN to treenab Send a message via Yahoo to treenab
Feeding betta fry

As some of you would know my betta have spawned, taking me by suprise!! I have been in touch with the LFS and they have advised me if I want any brine shrimp eggs I will have to wait for 2 weeks until they get them in. Other than that I can get some frozen brine shrimp. Is this frozen brine shrimp OK or should I look further afield to get some brine shrimp eggs???

friend to 21 little fishies
and my "miracle" betta bubble nest and eggs..
treenab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 11:56 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Feeding Betta Fry

Baby brine shrimp, in my limited experience of breeding bettas are too large for new-born fry. You really should have infusoria for the first 5 to 7 days. In place of that, I would recommend liquified hard-boiled egg yolk, fed in tiny amounts as it will quickly spoil your water. This has worked for me - but - your mileage may vary. Good luck with your babies. - Guppyman

Guppyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 05:15 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I am raising week old betta fry right now. I feed them Infusoria and liquid fry food, they are way too small to be fed brine shrimp of any size. Infusoria is easy to culture and stays alive in the fry tank so if it isn't eaten right away it won't foul the water.

To culture infusoria get a glass jar fill it with water, add some dechlore and a crumpled lettuce leaf. Put the jar in a warm place that gets sunlight (next to a window). When the water becomes a white cloudy color you have infusoria (24-72 hours). Use a baster to add the infusoria to your fry tank. I go one step further and boil the water and blanch the lettuce to kill any bacteria. Once the steralized water cools to room temp add a few table spoons of water from your fry tank.
Old 10-19-2003, 05:31 AM   #4

Send a message via ICQ to treenab Send a message via MSN to treenab Send a message via Yahoo to treenab
Thanks for the advice Egg yolk is out of the question as my son is a=highly allergic to egg, even to the smell/proximity he will anaphylax I will have a go at making some infusoria... but what is dechlore?? i presume it is a chemical of some sort.. the only chemical I have besides my PH kit is "tri-start" would that do the same thing??? being a newbie (tank is 3 weeks old) I am really struggling with trying to do the right things and learn all at once...
Old 10-19-2003, 06:00 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Dechlore is a general term I use to refer to any chemical that takes chlorine out of tap water. Yes, Tri-start will work. I use a product called "Dr. Wellfish" "stress coat".
Old 10-19-2003, 06:20 AM   #6

Wonderful *sigh of relief* was thinking I was going to have to get something else added to the list hehehe.. Will start to making this up tonight... Do I cover the jar with anything or leave it uncovered??
Old 10-19-2003, 06:47 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Do I cover the jar with anything or leave it uncovered??
Either way. Mine has a lid on it.
Old 10-19-2003, 07:27 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Terry Send a message via MSN to Terry
Great advice SoCal on the infusoria,

I don't know if you know but banana skin is good for cultering infusoria as well. Same process pop it into a jar until the water goes cloudy.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 07:55 AM   #9

Thanks heaps!! I think I will stick to the lettuce though, William is allergic to banana as well... Due to the coldish weather here I have put a lid on mine.. hopefully the humidity with the lid will help it along a bit... thanks again

Tags
betta, feeding, fry

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com