Feeding betta fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

treenab

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
As some of you would know my betta have spawned, taking me by suprise!! I have been in touch with the LFS and they have advised me if I want any brine shrimp eggs I will have to wait for 2 weeks until they get them in. Other than that I can get some frozen brine shrimp. Is this frozen brine shrimp OK or should I look further afield to get some brine shrimp eggs???

Feeding Betta Fry

Baby brine shrimp, in my limited experience of breeding bettas are too large for new-born fry. You really should have infusoria for the first 5 to 7 days. In place of that, I would recommend liquified hard-boiled egg yolk, fed in tiny amounts as it will quickly spoil your water. This has worked for me - but - your mileage may vary. Good luck with your babies. - Guppyman

I am raising week old betta fry right now. I feed them Infusoria and liquid fry food, they are way too small to be fed brine shrimp of any size. Infusoria is easy to culture and stays alive in the fry tank so if it isn't eaten right away it won't foul the water.

To culture infusoria get a glass jar fill it with water, add some dechlore and a crumpled lettuce leaf. Put the jar in a warm place that gets sunlight (next to a window). When the water becomes a white cloudy color you have infusoria (24-72 hours). Use a baster to add the infusoria to your fry tank. I go one step further and boil the water and blanch the lettuce to kill any bacteria. Once the steralized water cools to room temp add a few table spoons of water from your fry tank.

Thanks for the advice :) Egg yolk is out of the question as my son is a=highly allergic to egg, even to the smell/proximity he will anaphylax :( I will have a go at making some infusoria... but what is dechlore?? i presume it is a chemical of some sort.. the only chemical I have besides my PH kit is "tri-start" would that do the same thing??? being a newbie (tank is 3 weeks old) I am really struggling with trying to do the right things and learn all at once...

Dechlore is a general term I use to refer to any chemical that takes chlorine out of tap water. Yes, Tri-start will work. I use a product called "Dr. Wellfish" "stress coat".

Wonderful *sigh of relief* was thinking I was going to have to get something else added to the list hehehe.. Will start to making this up tonight... Do I cover the jar with anything or leave it uncovered??

Great advice SoCal on the infusoria,

I don't know if you know but banana skin is good for cultering infusoria as well. Same process pop it into a jar until the water goes cloudy.

Thanks heaps!! I think I will stick to the lettuce though, William is allergic to banana as well... Due to the coldish weather here I have put a lid on mine.. hopefully the humidity with the lid will help it along a bit... thanks again :)

Back
Top Bottom