Feeding bristlenose pleco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kristian Tombs

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got my bristlenose pleco on Sunday morning. So I put blanched zuccini in Sunday night and took it out Monday morning. There were no bite marks not even a nibble. So I decided I wound starve him so he is more inclined to eat. So I didn't put any food in for him on Monday. Then I put a tetra brand algae wafer Tuesday night and took it out today roughly eight hours later not even a nibble. What do I do river? There is no visible Algae in the aquarium. I don't want to fail in providing for this beautiful fish. Please help!

P.S: I was thinking of switching to hikari algae wafers. Would this help?

I got my bristlenose pleco on Sunday morning. So I put blanched zuccini in Sunday night and took it out Monday morning. There were no bite marks not even a nibble. So I decided I wound starve him so he is more inclined to eat. So I didn't put any food in for him on Monday. Then I put a tetra brand algae wafer Tuesday night and took it out today roughly eight hours later not even a nibble. What do I do river? There is no visible Algae in the aquarium. I don't want to fail in providing for this beautiful fish. Please help!

P.S: I was thinking of switching to hikari algae wafers. Would this help?

After 24 hours the algae water should of almost disintegrated throughout the aquarium, if he's not eating he's not hungry :) keep an eye on him if he shows any signs of being unwell treat accordingly. Also how big is he?

After 24 hours the algae water should of almost disintegrated throughout the aquarium, if he's not eating he's not hungry :) keep an eye on him if he shows any signs of being unwell treat accordingly. Also how big is he?

He's a long fin so they sell them when thy are older he must be 2-2.5 inches. And whenever I see him he is either sucking on the back wall of the tank or cleaning his cave. Occasionally I will see him hanging upside down on driftwood. He is very shy so as soon as he's sees me he swims of to his cave. And he doesn't come out I the cave if the tank lights are on.

He's a long fin so they sell them when thy are older he must be 2-2.5 inches. And whenever I see him he is either sucking on the back wall of the tank or cleaning his cave. Occasionally I will see him hanging upside down on driftwood. He is very shy so as soon as he's sees me he swims of to his cave. And he doesn't come out I the cave if the tank lights are on.

Anyone?

Just keep trying different veggies and wafers, I bought a mixed bag of wafers for my Pleco as I couldn't find one he liked over here , and fortunately he likes all the ones in the mixed bag, especially the shrimp wafers (all from ebay) he gets steamed broccoli too and calabacitas it's like zucchini , also tried him with strawberries , he enjoyed them it just turned the water pink lol.. My dad gives his sea food sticks, cooked shrimp/prawns , not tried that yet...seems a bit canibalistic ...lol
But if you google what to feed a bn Pleco you will be surprised what they eat :)

Just keep trying different veggies and wafers, I bought a mixed bag of wafers for my Pleco as I couldn't find one he liked over here , and fortunately he likes all the ones in the mixed bag, especially the shrimp wafers (all from ebay) he gets steamed broccoli too and calabacitas it's like zucchini , also tried him with strawberries , he enjoyed them it just turned the water pink lol.. My dad gives his sea food sticks, cooked shrimp/prawns , not tried that yet...seems a bit canibalistic ...lol
But if you google what to feed a bn Pleco you will be surprised what they eat :)

Anyone got experience with tetra wafers

I use NLS wafers and they are good for a couple of days- they don't disintegrate or cloud the water.
As for veggies- things like the stems from asparagus, broccoli and cauliflower, peas, zucchini, cucumber I leave in for 24-36 hours.
Fruits and soft veggies I just leave in overnight.
Some fish like their veggies when it is starting to, well... Accumulate a nutritious biofilm. :lol:
It can take ages for them to decide to have a taste, and some prefer different parts if the fruit/veggie. I have a pleco who I slice cucumber lengthways for- he hoovers up the soft flesh and seeds and leaves the rest for the bristlenose. They consume most of the rest, including the skin, and then my kuhlis and cories finish off the 'matured' dregs. :)

I use NLS wafers and they are good for a couple of days- they don't disintegrate or cloud the water.
As for veggies- things like the stems from asparagus, broccoli and cauliflower, peas, zucchini, cucumber I leave in for 24-36 hours.
Fruits and soft veggies I just leave in overnight.
Some fish like their veggies when it is starting to, well... Accumulate a nutritious biofilm. :lol:
It can take ages for them to decide to have a taste, and some prefer different parts if the fruit/veggie. I have a pleco who I slice cucumber lengthways for- he hoovers up the soft flesh and seeds and leaves the rest for the bristlenose. They consume most of the rest, including the skin, and then my kuhlis and cories finish off the 'matured' dregs. :)

Should I blanch or put it straight in?

Should I blanch or put it straight in?

I'd just slice it in half put it right in. My bristlenose will eat the flesh right out of the skin. I used chip bag clips to make clamp onto the slices and make em sink.

Yours is a little guy so look for little circular marks on the vegis about the size of his little mouth. He may have not been able to get through the skin if you didnt slice it the first time.

I'd just slice it in half put it right in. My bristlenose will eat the flesh right out of the skin. I used chip bag clips to make clamp onto the slices and make em sink.

Yours is a little guy so look for little circular marks on the vegis about the size of his little mouth. He may have not been able to get through the skin if you didnt slice it the first time.

I put a slice a quarter of an inch

Back
Top Bottom