Feeding community tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caudelfin

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 90 gal with Tiger Barbs, Tinfoil Barbs and 2 Paradise Gouramis. I am at the present feeding OSI Tropical Fish Flakes. The Gouramis are gluttons and get all they want, the Tiger Barbs are fast and get all they need and more. However, the so called Tinfoil Barbs are not really Tinfoil Barbs but a variety of Tinfoil Barbs.

The lfs sold them as Tinfoil Barbs. I think they are Albino Tinfoils. They are the traditional silver but with a very pinkish cast, the fins are pink and the eyes are red which makes me think they are an albino variety of the regular Tinfoil.

They do not seem to see very well, except the two small ones, they will go to the top and get their food. The three larger tinfoils cannot see their food until it comes sinking down very close and straight ahead of where they are. They get very little food. they seem to be more of a bottom feeder as they search among the gravel for their food. What could I feed that would sink, that they would eat.

Even then the Tigers would probably beat them to the food, as they seem to feed from any place. I have even seen them picking at the glass, ornaments and look for food in the gravel. Seeing that everybody gets fed properly in community tanks has always been a problem for me. I usually end up over feeding. This gang can consume more food in 20 seconds than any group that I have had before. Anyone have any ideas on how to see that the Tinfoil Barbs (?) get enough to eat without over feeding the others?
caudelfin.

Is there any way you can return them. A shoal of them will be too much for a 90 gal.

Do you mean a shoal of Tinfoils? I presume this what you are talking about. I know they will overload the tank and I am going to see about returning them now. I have been told that they will grow to about 12 inches and they will have a large body. If I cannot return them I will try to give them to someone with a large 120 - 160 gal. I hate to buy -even used- a large 120 for just 5 Tinfoils, I have no place to put it. I would not like to euthanize them but that could be what might have to happen if I cannot even give them away.

Since I intend to endup with at least 14 tigers, any other fish you would recommend. The two male Gouramis will be at each other's throat soon and I need to remove one of them also. I have the 20 gal tall and I am getting it ready for a planted tank and I can put the 1 Male Gourami in that tank.

I understand your problem caudelfin. I have a similar situation in my 75 gal. The angels are always at the top scarfing up everything as it goes in. What the angels miss, the Serpaes and Lampeyes are quick enough to grab. The German Rams, being shy, usually have to pick over the leftovers.

What I've done is separate the tank into two feeding areas. Since the angels follow me to whatever area they think the food is coming into, I give them theirs and quickly go to the other side with a different food for the others.

So, if I feed the Angels bloodworms, I throw flakes on the other side. This has worked for several months. Sinking pellets (cichlid crumbles) have worked tremendously for the German Rams. Occassionally, one or more fish will get both but so long as everyone is fed, I'm satisfied. What ever lands on the bottom will be scarfed up by the corys. :)

I would try feeding sinking shrimp pellets at the same time as you feed flakes. You might also want to try leaving some zucchini in the tank for a couple hours. Slice zucchini length wise and then scrape away seeds. Anchor in tank with a veggie clip. If left for a couple of hours all the fish should get a go at it. Also feed frozen treats like bloodworms, brine shrimp, and krill.

As long as they are looking healthy, are active, and growing they are probably getting enough to eat. I tend to to err on the overfeeding side myself but I also do water changes twice a week and my tanks only a 55 gallon.

We have a community tank and feed a variety of foods that cover all levels of our aquarium.

Sinking Shrimp & Algae pellets. Daphnia, Flakes, Plankton, Brine Shrimp, Black Worms, Krill.

We do overfeed on occassion to make sure the Upside Down Catfish & Black Knife get enough food since they don't come out as often as everyone else.

We use the flakes more for the Upper swimmers. The Sinking pellets for the bottom dwellers. And the Daphnia, Brine Shrimp, and Black Worms for all over.

We don't feed it all at once - Usually we pick 2 and go with that.

Hope this helps.

I thank everyone for their input. I have tried most of the remedies, but you know those little Tiger Barbs are so quick that no matter where the food goes they are there too. Perhaps they will not eat the zuchinni. If I can locate some the store I will try it. I usually nuke the Romaine for a few seconds to tenderize it for my goldfish or they pull it all over the pond but never eat it unless it is tender. Pehaps I spoiled them at the beginning. I will put the zuchinni in and see if the tinfoils will eat it. If you live in MS and want a school or shoal of red tail albino Tinfoils let me know and I will give them to you free.
8)

caudelfin

We tend to use words loosely sometimes. Way way back when I was but a lad a shoal of fish was a large school of fish. Thus 6 fish would be a school and perhaps 12 or more would be shoal. This is just an aside and no comment is necessary. :-D

I usually put food at the top of my tank for all the mollies, then put some in the back where the filter runs so it pushes some flakes down so teh other fish can get some

Back
Top Bottom