feeding conundrum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shayfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My tank inhabitants are: 6 zebra danios, 5 rummynose tetras, 2 sailfin mollies, 1 BN pleco, 1 amano shrimp, 2 mystery snails.

And my danios are freaking pigs!! They eat most of the food before anyone else even notices its in there. They are seriously starting to get FAT! 8O The mollies are a little on the slow/dopey side so they miss out on a lot, and the pleco's algae wafers get attacked by everyone before he gets a chance at them. I am feeding a mix of flakes, veggies (usually peas) and blood worms, plus the algae wafers and the odd chunk of zucchini for the pleco.

I guess I'm a little worried that some of the other fish aren't getting enough food while the greedy danios are becomming obese! Is there anything I can/should do?

Well if you haven't already, you could try putting food on one side for the danios to eat first and then put some on the other side for the rest of the fish. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't.

Or maybe put flakes in on one side of the tank for the piggies and then get some sinking pellets for the slower fish.

Hope that helps...:)

I agree with feeding the algae wafers after dark. If you drop them in the tank after the lights are out it's more likely that the pleco will get some. With your mix of fish I wouldn't particularly worry about anyone. They should all be able to get what they need. If the danios are getting fat feed less each time you feed.

Back
Top Bottom