Feeding Cories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CanadianWaters

Aquarium Advice Addict
I currently keep 5 panda cories with my 6 neon tetra and I am worried about the Cory diet. I feed the tetras flakes and usually once a day. The Cories get 1 sinking wafer every other day. Should I feed multiple tablets? Also I sometimes feel like the tetras eat more of the wafers than the cories do. Any tips for feeding these guys would help!
Thanks in advance

I currently keep 5 panda cories with my 6 neon tetra and I am worried about the Cory diet. I feed the tetras flakes and usually once a day. The Cories get 1 sinking wafer every other day. Should I feed multiple tablets? Also I sometimes feel like the tetras eat more of the wafers than the cories do. Any tips for feeding these guys would help!
Thanks in advance

A. Pandas like it a bit cool.
B. live food is best
Frozen is second best
Flakes or wafers are ok, but meat needs to be first ingredient.

Cories love worms, Brine Shrimp and Shrimp pellets. Make sure if they are eating wafers it is for Catfish. Algae wafers are ok if they eat them when you are feeding your other fish, but their diet needs meat.

Check Planet Catfish for exact temps and diet.

I fed mine frozen bloodworms and brine Shrimp, Omega One Color Flakes and Shrimp Pellets.

According to planet catfish I am still in a good temperature range for them.
I feed them frozen bloodworms twice a week
Should I feed this more often I guess?
I just to take good care of them and am grateful for ur help

Also with the live food I am thinking this is mainly brine shrimp? Is this hard to set up?

I have six emerald cories in my planted community tank.

Every morning I give them 6 shrimp pellets, 3 algae wafers broken in half, and their tank's share of a cube of frozen bloodworms thawed in water.

Four times a week, I thaw out a frozen slice of squash (either yellow or zucchini) in boiling water, trim off all but a smidge of the skin and drop it in "their" spot right before lights out.

Someone on here had a suggestion I started doing. All my tetras eat like mini-pirahnas and hardly any food makes it to the bottom. When I turn the lights out for the last time at night, I drop some sinking shrimp pellets into the back corner of the tank. The tetras don't see it and Corys do alot of their eating at night.
Caudially, OS.

Someone on here had a suggestion I started doing. All my tetras eat like mini-pirahnas and hardly any food makes it to the bottom. When I turn the lights out for the last time at night, I drop some sinking shrimp pellets into the back corner of the tank. The tetras don't see it and Corys do alot of their eating at night.
Caudially, OS.

Yes, after lights out is good if you have piggy fish. :)

I have six emerald cories in my planted community tank.

Every morning I give them 6 shrimp pellets, 3 algae wafers broken in half, and their tank's share of a cube of frozen bloodworms thawed in water.

Four times a week, I thaw out a frozen slice of squash (either yellow or zucchini) in boiling water, trim off all but a smidge of the skin and drop it in "their" spot right before lights out.

That sounds like a lot of food. They don't need Algae Wafers or Veggies. They eat meat. Algae wafers won't hurt them, but catfish meat based diets are better.

That sounds like a lot of food. They don't need Algae Wafers or Veggies. They eat meat. Algae wafers won't hurt them, but catfish meat based diets are better.

Cories are omnivores that need a lot of protein in their diets, but all of it doesn't have to come from meat.

In addition to the cories there are schools of tetras and rasboras in this tank. I guess you could call it my community omnivore shoal tank.

Cories are omnivores that need a lot of protein in their diets, but all of it doesn't have to come from meat.

In addition to the cories there are schools of tetras and rasboras in this tank. I guess you could call it my community omnivore shoal tank.

Of course feed your fish what they need. I just see people trying to feed Cories veg, like they are Plecos. A variety is good :)
Breeders feed live Black Worms and Brine Shrimp to condition Cories for breeding.

My C habrosus do munch on my Shrimps' Algae Wafers, I'm just not feeding it "for the Cories".
:)

Mine get
Omega One Shrimp Pellets
Frozen Baby Brine
Frozen Blood Worms
Live Daphnia ( bought from LFS)
Live Brine
Omega One Color Flakes
And assorted Shrimp foods that they steal

I agree..that is too much, cories don't need much at all. If you have a sand substrate they find quite of food by that even. I sometimes through a bottom feeder tab and usually throw in a few shrimp pellets that all my fish eat too. They eat pretty much anything including small pieces left behind. They don't really need algae in their diet. However, a well balanced diet is always good. Sand is the best for their diet and for finding food. Their barbels get worn down easily and that is how they find their food in the first place.

Also, a thing with any catfish is that they will eat until they can hardly move if food is available. They won't stop. So if you overfeed, they will be pudgy lil guys and that could lead to other problems with them.

Back
Top Bottom