Feeding crickets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheCrazyFishLady

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is there any positives towards feeding a fish crickets? I picked some up today for my N BT skink and he ate like four, so my boyfriend threw one in with the flowerhorn and two in with the rainbows. My flowerhorn grabbed that bug so quick and scarfed it down, no problem. In the rainbow tank, my big killi took the first one in a split second and the second one got pulled apart by the rainbows/danios. It seemed like a nice treat. I'm pretty sure there is very little nutritional value to zero in these. The remaining few crickets are making me go mad with the chirping... I might throw them in with the flowerhorn.

Anyway, is this a good treat or did I basically give my fishies a bag of doritos?

TheCrazyFishLady said:
Is there any positives towards feeding a fish crickets? I picked some up today for my N BT skink and he ate like four, so my boyfriend threw one in with the flowerhorn and two in with the rainbows. My flowerhorn grabbed that bug so quick and scarfed it down, no problem. In the rainbow tank, my big killi took the first one in a split second and the second one got pulled apart by the rainbows/danios. It seemed like a nice treat. I'm pretty sure there is very little nutritional value to zero in these. The remaining few crickets are making me go mad with the chirping... I might throw them in with the flowerhorn.

Anyway, is this a good treat or did I basically give my fishies a bag of doritos?

I like doritos!!! Lol lol

I feed insects to my oscars and pacu's.I've never had any problems insects are very high in protein. I feed them as a treat .

Most fish eat a large quantity of insects as part of their diets. I do not see them being a bad treat at all.

Gut load em to make more nutritious same as do for lizards, there's a commercial gutload and stuff in your fridge, they are chirping due to temperature, I've had 100 crickets iny room and could still sleep lol

I second the gut loading. I do this for all my reptiles. You can buy a pre-mixed formula or just feed them fresh fruit, veggies and grains. I think almost all fish eat bugs at some point

i feed my betta small grasshoppers and praying mantises all the time,she loves them

I'm pretty sure there is very little nutritional value to zero in these.

The nutritional value of crickets depends greatly on what they are fed. In general crickets are about 69% moisture, 21% protein, 6% fat and 3% carbohydrates. Crickets have about 21mg of calcium/100g...copied from cricket supply companies website.

Back
Top Bottom