Feeding cucumber

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishies86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've read that Otos like cucumber, but I'm not sure how to feed it to them. Is it just a case of throwing a chunk in the tank, or do I need to remove the skin or the seeds, or does it need cooking first? Will it sink or does it need to be weighed down. How long do I leave it in there? I want to give him a chance to eat it, but the last thing I want is rotting food in the tank!

They sell "chip clips" with suction cups at pet stores (usually the design of a fish). Just cut a slice of the cucumber and clip it onto that, he'll find it. Oh, and don't worry about the rind/seeds.

I just push plant weights into the zucchini I feed my plecos. The weight pulls it down and they eat every part of it. I never leave it in for too long if they decide not to eat it though. Put it in in the morning and take out what is left at night. 12 hours is my limit. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium

If you want to use something you already have on hand, you can also use a corkscrew or small fork to weigh a peice of cuke down.

I tied it to a pebble with an elastic band and put it in the tank. It would appear that oto doesn't seem to like cucumber :/
Ive put it in when the lights on though, so maybe he'll eat it when the lights go off. They're supposed to be nocturnal aren't they, but mine is very active during the day.

Back
Top Bottom