Feeding fish..??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishbie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all
I m a newbie to this hobby(2 weeks old ;) ) I ve got 4 glofish(purple,green,orange,blue) and a female sunburst platy in my 10 gallon tank.
i wanted to know exactly how much i should feed my fish? i heard and read that i can feed how much ever my fish eats in 1-3 minutes? But i m afraid i would overfeed..coz every time i put in a pinch my pink glofish and the orange one eat most of the stuff up,the other 3 pick the food that floats a little below the surface,but i get worried if that is enough and end up putting a little more than i plan to(though they eat most of it except a some flakes that get settled in the gravel which they r not able to find)..i feed them twice a day with 3-4 pinches of food.. am i doing this right?? or am i underfeeding my fish?? Can anyone tell me exactly how much i should feed to keep my fish healthy??
Thanks in advance :) :thanks:
:fish2:

Just give them a small pinch, I feed my fish twice a day. Just keep an eye on them and if you notice that one might not be getting enough or it looks skinny (odd to say because fish look that way anyways but you'll be able to tell) I would consider separating them.

really????

I take Sunday off from feeding.[/QUOTE]

Is that a must?? Ok,now i m really worried! Looks like i dont know so much about this:huh: I thought u only put goldfish under deliberate fasting..i ve been feeding my fishes twice daily..u think i should give a day off too??

Just give them a small pinch, I feed my fish twice a day. Just keep an eye on them and if you notice that one might not be getting enough or it looks skinny (odd to say because fish look that way anyways but you'll be able to tell) I would consider separating them.

Yeah..i see what u r saying..my pink glofish seems to be getting fatter and my blue one remains skinny..but i also doubt if the round belly of my pink one is coz it might be a female (the petsmart guy told nobody can tell the difference until they r adults) I like her though(my pink one) coz she is the only one smart enough to understand right from her 2nd day that when the outlet in the hood is up,she has to get ready for food lol :D by the time the others realize whats going on (i tap the tank to let them know from wherever they r hiding) my little pinkie is already done with her 2nd course!!:lol:
Thanks anyway,i think the rest will soon get used to the regular timing that i maintain to feed them..:)
:fish1:

It wouldn't hurt 'em..........Some people feed their fish every other day....

Oh i could never do that,i m way too a worrier :oops: and main thing is,i m pretty sure i wont be able to keep track of the days to feed unless it is regular,before and after my work! But ya,i think taking sundays off would work well with me too (y)
:fish1:

corycats??

Feed small amounts twice daily and give a fasting day where the fish will pick at stuff in the tank.

Oh i only now get the reason behind the ''taking the day off'' :facepalm:
About that,i m planning to get 2 albino corys too next week.. Do u think i still should leave a day off then? Coz they would be picking whatever is left over in the gravel,right?? (apart from their food)
And also now i have another question,if corys pick the left over food,how frequently should i feed them their food (i suppose they eat the bottom feeders food??)
:thanks: :fish1:

Fasting is more to give them a day to clear out their digestive system, not to clean up bits of leftovers from the tank. The Cories will also benefit from a fast. Also, get some sinking pellets for the Cories to ensure they are getting food.

Fasting is more to give them a day to clear out their digestive system, not to clean up bits of leftovers from the tank. The Cories will also benefit from a fast. Also, get some sinking pellets for the Cories to ensure they are getting food.

Hmmm..lots to learn..its nice to know so much info from experts too :popcorn: Thank u :flowers:
:fish2:

Back
Top Bottom