Feeding Fish While On Vacation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bruceanthony

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have 2 freshwater tanks. A 30g and a 10g. I'll be going out of town for about 5 days. What's the best way to feed them while I'm gone? Is an automatic feeder necessary? Or is there a dissolving or gel type food that you'd recommend?

I've tried those dissolving things...they always seem to just make a mess. IMHO, more trouble than they're worth.

If you have a friend or neighbor you trust, have them take care of it for you. Use one of those daily pill containers they sell at local pharmacies to ration out each day's food so there's no question or confusion about how much your fish should be fed.

If you don't, then an auto-feeder may be your only option if you're going to be gone more than a day or two. I've heard good things (albeit, some bad things, too) about the Eheim Air Feeder. My suggestion would be to put it in use for at least a few days, if not longer, before you leave so that you can be sure it's working correctly.

I left town for 10 days and posted the same question. You can leave a fraction of one of those shell shaped feeding (things?) in each tank and be good. A fish can survive alot longer than 5 days w/o eating. Tho, if you know a trustworthy person I would recommend that. Don't get me wrong after 5 days they will be more than happy to see you but just do a WC day before and put those in before u leave.

If you're only going to be gone for 5 days, your fish will be fine without being fed anything- maybe feed them a little more than normal before you leave. IMO, auto feeders are pretty messy and unless you have friends or family members who know exactly how much to feed them, you might regret allowing others to feed them (unless you use the pill box method). :) I have done this several times, and all is well!

Agreed, unless you have fry, the fish will be just fine for 5 days without being fed. I've done this plenty of times while going on vacation. :)

Back
Top Bottom