Feeding flakes vs frozen food ratio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delapool

AA Member
Site Team
Wondering how often people feed frozen or dried fish food?

I've converted over to NLS fish food (learnt to never tell family cost) for pellets. So I think (hope) I have them on better quality food then before.

But I usually feed frozen brine shrimp once a week or whenever I've got back late. I'm guessing I should be more regular there and wondered what people feed for frozen foods (or dried, etc), how often in a week and if there are good quality products to look out for? Or anything to avoid?

Previously I've pretty much just grabbed anything off the freezer shelf in the lfs.

For me its flake food everyday (aqueon brand) going to switch to omega one when this runs out, freeze dried blood worms once every other day (tetra brand not my favorite but its what I have), and then frozen brine shrimp once a week. And it's just the San Francisco bay brand.

I used to be big into flakes and pellets because of their simplicity.

Now I find my fish much prefer frozen and live foods. I've seen some better colors out of them. I still feed some pellets though.

My list:

Pellets
Omega one- shrimp pellets
Hikari- massivore pellets
NLS- cichlid formula

Frozen:
Carnivore mix
Marine mix
Mysis shrimp
Brine shrimp
Bloodworms
Formula Two
Discus formula
Beef heart

Caleb

Thanks for the replies. I'll check the lfs, I have seen some of those there. Guess I can't buy it online but great excuse to get into the shop. Are all brands pretty much the same (a shrimp is a shrimp)?

Thanks for the replies. I'll check the lfs, I have seen some of those there. Guess I can't buy it online but great excuse to get into the shop. Are all brands pretty much the same (a shrimp is a shrimp)?

I'm sure you know Dela it varies by brand what all goes into the food. Most of my frozen is Omega One or San Fransisco Bay.

Some are whole shrimp while others can contain a gel substance it's part of preservation I think.
Caleb

Every night I feed hikari sinking pellets, nls sinking pellets, and omega one super carnivore mixed with formula 2.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm sure you know Dela it varies by brand what all goes into the food. Most of my frozen is Omega One or San Fransisco Bay.

Some are whole shrimp while others can contain a gel substance it's part of preservation I think.
Caleb

That's a good point! I should probably check out a few places.

I feed all three.
IMO the flake and pellets are the most nutritious for the fish.
The frozen is more a treat and will "condition" fish for breeding.
That being said I don't think the food the fish prefer to get in the mood is necessarily the best for them,just what works best so far for us.
Many have found with some fish regardless of diet that adding vitamins to food is a good and necessary thing.

Back
Top Bottom