Feeding freezedried bloodworms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmay33

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've used them to supplement my Betta's diet.

In other tanks I have:

30 gallon -
1 pearl gourami
6 Cory cats(2 albino, 2 peppered, 2 bronze)
6 male fancy guppies
3 danios(1 blue long finned, 2 zebra danios)
2 African dwarf frogs
2 apple snails
Large amount of ghost shrimp.

I currently feed:
TetraColor tropical flakes
Shrimp pellets
Algae wafers

30 gallon -
1 male fancy guppy that was being bullied
4 Danios (1 gold long finned, 3 zebra danios)
4 silver hatchets
2 black mollies(to be rehomed very soon.)
3 platys (to be rehomed at the same time as the mollies)
1 common pleco
1 clown pleco
2 golden apple snails

I currently feed:
TetraColor tropical flakes
Shrimp pellets
Algae wafers
There is driftwood in the tank for the clown pleco

10 gallon -
1 electric blue crawfish
Rosy red minnows

I currently feed:
Algae wafers for the ebc
Rosy reds for the ebc
Tropical flakes for the rosy reds

10 gallon -
A few plants I'm trying to salvage
1 male Betta
(I'm also trying to come up with some other stock? I know he'll be territorial. I will be replacing substrate, rescaping, and adding different decor/caves.)

I have been feeding him tetra color flakes instead of Betta food and supplementing with the bloodworms. Is this okay for him? Or should I go ahead and get some Betta food?

HERE IS MY MAIN QUESTION: Would it be beneficial to also feed bloodworms in any of my other tanks?

Attachments

• image-494163831.jpg
    image-494163831.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 83
As long as it is a high quality flake food, there should be no need to supplement with anything like bloodworms.

And betta food is basically made of the same stuff as flake food, you don't need to get special betta pellets.

And, just a tip for feeding freeze-dried foods, since they can expand once inside the fish's stomach and cause bloat, it is best to soak the bloodworms in a cup of tank water for a few minutes before giving them to the fish.

As long as it is a high quality flake food, there should be no need to supplement with anything like bloodworms.

And betta food is basically made of the same stuff as flake food, you don't need to get special betta pellets.

And, just a tip for feeding freeze-dried foods, since they can expand once inside the fish's stomach and cause bloat, it is best to soak the bloodworms in a cup of tank water for a few minutes before giving them to the fish.

Thanks! I didn't know that about the bloodworms. I will do that from now on!

Thank you for the information. :) I will just put the bloodworms back in my cabinet. Lol. Does that mean the Betta doesn't need them either?

I was told the exact opposite from what was mentioned above fish like most animals do have some variety in their diet how would you like to eat the same thing everyday for years on end? although I wouldn't feed it to them everyday it does make for a nice treat once or twice a week.

I feed my fish with them 1 - 2 times a week for the last month now I have
5 bosemani raindows
6 platies
12 neon tetras
10 pygmy cories
1 bushy nose pleco

only drop in a few at a time and see how the fish react to it.

I was told the exact opposite from what was mentioned above fish like most animals do have some variety in their diet how would you like to eat the same thing everyday for years on end?

This is true. It will make to a more healthy and happy fish. Plus it will promote growth with juveniles. Haha you guys should see my "cabinet". Since I am trying to promote my gbr to spawn I am feeding higher end food to help her body produce good eggs. I have 4 types of frozen food I give, high end pellet food (spectrum), shrimp pellets, algea wafers, and some flake food o and frozen veggies. Not trying to be rude or anything but I'm not into tetra color at all because of all the dyes that it has. If I do flakes I go with a all natural aqueon flakes. I feed my fish once a day. I don't really have a schedule that says what to feed on what days I just wing it and occasionally I purposely skip one day to let them catch up. I'm not saying they need THAT much variety but it would help if you gave them something besides flakes everyday. Wafers are cheap and they last long you could treat them with that a couple times a week. Heck even shrimp pellets are cheap and they come with a bunch of them. Just don't go $1 cheap lol

Feed not only freeze-dried, but frozen too! Just don't make it a staple.

David

Evilgrin said:
I was told the exact opposite from what was mentioned above fish like most animals do have some variety in their diet how would you like to eat the same thing everyday for years on end? although I wouldn't feed it to them everyday it does make for a nice treat once or twice a week.

I feed my fish with them 1 - 2 times a week for the last month now I have
5 bosemani raindows
6 platies
12 neon tetras
10 pygmy cories
1 bushy nose pleco

only drop in a few at a time and see how the fish react to it.

People try to tie human emotion to fish, like "How would you like it if you were fed the same thing all the time?" when really, they have no emotion of the sort. That is why they go nuts for the same food day in and day out. Thy honestly don't care if they're getting variety as long as the staple food has enough nutrients.

High protein, high fat foods can sometimes trigger spawns in some species, but on a daily basis there is no variety needed. Just feed them a high quality flake or pellet and they will go berserk for it every time.

People try to tie human emotion to fish, like "How would you like it if you were fed the same thing all the time?" when really, they have no emotion of the sort. That is why they go nuts for the same food day in and day out. Thy honestly don't care if they're getting variety as long as the staple food has enough nutrients.

High protein, high fat foods can sometimes trigger spawns in some species, but on a daily basis there is no variety needed. Just feed them a high quality flake or pellet and they will go berserk for it every time.

Definitely agree to a certain extent, but I also like to supplement with frozen/live foods not just for the sake of variety but to give my fish something that is more in tune with what they might eat in nature, as opposed to something that is obviously nutritious but also ultimately often heavily processed and manufactured. I stay away from freeze dried foods, though.

Definitely agree to a certain extent, but I also like to supplement with frozen/live foods not just for the sake of variety but to give my fish something that is more in tune with what they might eat in nature, as opposed to something that is obviously nutritious but also ultimately often heavily processed and manufactured. I stay away from freeze dried foods, though.

Yes, and that is perfectly fine. It's just that diet supplementation is not necessary like some think it to be. If you want to just because, go right ahead. But don't feel like you have to because you don't.

Back
Top Bottom