Feeding Freshwater Fish BrineShrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you feed Brine Shrimp to your fresh water fish?

• Yes (I feed them Brine Shrimp daily).

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes (I feed them Brine Shrimp every other day).

• No I do not feed my fresh water fish Brine Shrimp.

• NO I DO NOT FEED MY FRESH WATER FISH BRINE SHRIMP BECAUSE THEY ARE A SALT WATER SPECIES.

• YES I FEED MY FRESH WATER FISH BRINE SHRIMP EVEN THOUGH BRINE ARE A SALT WATER SPECIES.

• Total voters
Apocalypse_Gold, could you please give me a more detailed explanation about the "san francisco bay brand hatchery" method? I am dealing with brine shrimp eggs and would love to hatch them
http://petchauffeur.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?page=TPCS/PROD/SFBB/ASF66170

These hatcheries are quite nice. They come with 3 packets that are a mixture of eggs and salt. You already have tons of eggs so you could buy some aquarium salt (cheap!) to use after you have used the 3 packets.

Someone asked earlier about feeding the eggs directly to the fish. The eggs (or cysts as Apocalypse_Gold thinks they need to be called) have a very tough outer shell making them undigestible. Hatch them first.

Looks like a great sea monkey hatchery there Toirtis! LOL.. or of course brine shrimp..
can you increase the size of the hatchery to have them multipy so that you dont have to keep buying the eggs? silly question I suppose but if you couldnt tell Im cheap! LOL.

I feed freezedried BBS to my fry. My guppies and white clouds seem to enjoy the stuff as well.

greenmagi said:
can you increase the size of the hatchery to have them multipy so that you dont have to keep buying the eggs? silly question I suppose but if you couldnt tell Im cheap! LOL.

No...you need a seperate growing/breeding tank....something round (they tend to get stuck in corners) well-filtered and about 250 gallons should do it....

At the Vancouver Aquarium, they feed live brine shrimp nauplii, but instead of using 2L pop bottles as hatcheries, they go a bit bigger (since they have so many fish/tanks) and use a trio of 40G plastic garbage pails.

Toirtis said:
No...you need a seperate growing/breeding tank....something round (they tend to get stuck in corners) well-filtered and about 250 gallons should do it....

250 gallons and round.. hmm.. sounds easy enough!... :lol: :lol:

Why so big?

They need room to swim, and you want enough of them to provide a decent, steady supply of eggs...

It is easy...aquaculture ponds start at around 250 gallons and go up from there.

Toirtis said:
They need room to swim, and you want enough of them to provide a decent, steady supply of eggs...

It is easy...aquaculture ponds start at around 250 gallons and go up from there.

Remember the heath department thing..I cant have standing water outside here I would have to have it in my house.. ack!.. 8O :evil: :evil: :evil:

I use the sfbb hatchery because it is simpler, smaller, etc. and it can produce more than your fry can eat (especially if you use the prepackaged mixes- I just use 2 tablespoons of aquarium salt and 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon of cysts) unless you have a lot of fry or are trying to raise them to adult. The standing water rule I would assume is for mosquito control which would not be an issue in the brine required for brine shrimp.

I am going with the 2 liter bottle DIY approach as I want to breed these puppies as treats for my Balas, Iridescents and Bettas. Seeing as hatched "Sub Adult" brine shrimp can live in FW for up to a week I will only require one batch a week.

Yay for brine shrimp! 0X :fadein: 8)

Joe

Apocalypse_Gold said:
The standing water rule I would assume is for mosquito control which would not be an issue in the brine required for brine shrimp.

Try auguring that with the landlord or heath department.. I would have to get an agrigutual licence for that purpose with a intent to make a business out of a brine pond.. I still dont think the landlord would go for it.. the land is already a business.. I dont know if the lease would alow for another.. I dont think that was thought of when it was written though..
Too much trouble..

The 2-liter idea is good.. and Ive seen auto hatcherys that attach to the tank like a HOB... the commercial products look nice as well..

sfbb freeze dried are fed to everyone at least once a week. Twice a week if they've been good. :D

I've also had notions of going live so this thread has been beneficial in that regard. Now, all I have to do is convince the wife that along with the veggies in the fridge, the funny looking bloodworms and peas in the freezer, that the soda bottle of squiggly things are also ok. :roll:

Jchillin said:
sfbb freeze dried are fed to everyone at least once a week. Twice a week if they've been good. :D

I've also had notions of going live so this thread has been beneficial in that regard. Now, all I have to do is convince the wife that along with the veggies in the fridge, the funny looking bloodworms and peas in the freezer, that the soda bottle of squiggly things are also ok. :roll:

You remind me of... Well, me! LOL
I'm happy you found the thread benificial!

I have no idea what daphnia is?

Joe

I culture daphnia on the winter cover of the swimming pool (11th year). It is a short season as the wife makes me open the pool. LOL. I do get a huge amount, though. Far more than my fish can consume. I would guesstimate 99% go down the drain. I drain the pool cover to a garbage can in the basement, placed beside the floor drain, and scoop them out with a net. For a cheap cotainer to grow things in, you can use the rollup wading pools that sell for about $12.00 and hold about 250 to 300 gals (6' dia) or 500 gals (8'dia). there was one guy in our area using them to cultivate and sell brine shrimp. The beauty of them, aside from low cost, is that they can be rolled up when not in use.

BillD said:
I culture daphnia on the winter cover of the swimming pool (11th year). It is a short season as the wife makes me open the pool. LOL. I do get a huge amount, though. Far more than my fish can consume. I would guesstimate 99% go down the drain. I drain the pool cover to a garbage can in the basement, placed beside the floor drain, and scoop them out with a net. For a cheap cotainer to grow things in, you can use the rollup wading pools that sell for about $12.00 and hold about 250 to 300 gals (6' dia) or 500 gals (8'dia). there was one guy in our area using them to cultivate and sell brine shrimp. The beauty of them, aside from low cost, is that they can be rolled up when not in use.

Great ideas BillD.. I hope someone is able to use them.. I will when I get out of this trailer park!!!

Back
Top Bottom