Feeding Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fox1

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 38 gallon aquarium with these stocked in it:
- 1 BN Pleco
- 4 Red Minor Tetras
- 4 Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish
- 6 Julii Corys
- 1 Dwarf Gourami

The problem that I am having with this is they don't like to share food. I put in some flakes for the tetras, rainbow fish, and gourami to eat. While they are eating that I throw in 2 shrimp pellets for the cory's. They start to eat them but before you know it the Gourami comes bites really hard into it scaring the Cory's away. Then the tetras come in and take bites out of it. Then the Gourami chases the tetras away to have the meal to itself. I thought easy fix I'll place a pellet under a structure where the gourami and tetras can't get it. The Cory's go after it a little bit but now the BN pleco comes and chases all the Cory's away so he can have the pellet. :facepalm: Im worried that my Cory's aren't getting enough to eat. How can I help them get some food? :thanks:

It depends on how much you feed in the tank. Years ago I had a setup of 30+ neons, with GBRs, a few corys, and a full grown BN. What I did was drop flakes on one side of the tank and right after the top-mid water fish go after that, I drop a good amount of pellets, lets say about 20 pellets through out the tank and drop algae wafers, like 3. It works, you just have to measure the amount of food you are going to use. Everyone eats. Your Tetras will eat the flakes mostly and be fine. When I use flakes I would use 2-3 pinches and go from there. You gotta pay attention on how the fish eat and how to get there attention/distraction.

The cory's that I have are new, just got them last week. Maybe I should have waited a little longer to see what happened because they are starting to get a little more better with the food. I think the Pleco does not like the shrimp wafers very well because he kind of ignores them. The gourami just eats off of one of the shrimp wafers while the cory's eats of the other. The tetras now barely touch them. All together I think it is working out fine, thanks for the info though, I will use it if it ever happens again. Thanks

Another option is do a small feeding right after the lights go off. Plecos are more active at night and corys peak at twilight.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I put in a algae wafer every night before bed for the Pleco, so I think he thought the shrimp wafers were algae wafers and that's why he was being territorial.

It usually takes about a week or so for new fish to start settling in and eat

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom