Feeding Kuhli Loach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joe Coetzee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Howzit guys,

I have recently added 1x kuhli loach to my aquarium

The problem is, when I try to feed it some blood worms, it "runs" away lightning fast and then the bloodworms looks like they are drifting to the surface and the rest of the community eats them

Is there another way or technique for feeding him, as I don't want the poor guy to starve, I have read that some people use a syringe to inject food towards them, but mine runs away!!

I plan in adding 3x more of them, if I can get the feeding issue sorted

Any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_20181209_162151.jpg
    IMG_20181209_162151.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 93
You can try turning off the aquarium lights while feeding. Kuhli loaches are nocturnal and it may help it to feel more comfortable eating, especially if you only have 1 at the moment.

Mix in some Omega One small grain Cichlid sinking pellets. All my Loaches tear it up.

When I kept a couple years ago I had a cave for them. I would cut a section off a cube of frozen blood worms. I had a pair of really long tweezers. Id grab the chunk of frozen blood worms and chuck it inside the cave then turn the lights off for the night.

I now use this to grab my frozen blood worms and feed my catfish in his cave before lights out.......
TOM Aquatic Gardener Multi-Tool https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006JM0DK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_YofeCbJ2NVF4A

Kuhli’s need a group to build confidence a roam. Then they will come out to compete for food. IMG_2301.jpg

Thanks for the reply
I haven't bought anymore yet, I will definitely try the cichled pellets
I am still battling to get the little guy to eat, meaning I can't see him eating, but I do put in about 2 cubes of blood worms every 2nd day

Mix in some Omega One small grain Cichlid sinking pellets. All my Loaches tear it up.

I bought some sinking cichlid pellets, and boom! He goes straight for them! I now feel confident to get some more kuhlis

Problem solved

Thanks so much for all the help guys

Attachments

• IMG_20181216_191658.jpg
    IMG_20181216_191658.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 81
You might think he isn't eating.But probably is. I have 4 Kulhui's I had not seem them for 2 months. I thought they were dead. One evening I am looking at the tank. Saw one than the others. They were fat and swimming. About a month after I had one more in the tank. Baby Kuhlie.

Thanks so much

I bought two more, LFS only had 2 left
They look very happy and even come out during the day
I drop in a few of the sinking pellets for them and the Corys, they enjoy them

What type of gravel do u use? I have brown Seachem flourite, but I never see them burrow, I don't want it to be too coarse so that they hurt themselves

Back
Top Bottom