Feeding my fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

indigo1975

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have 4 tiger barb and 2 mollies in a new tank..

I figured they would be dead by now since its a 3 week old tank..

I feed them once a day.. BUT they ALWAYS hang around the one side of the tank I feed them and even when I get off the sofa to do anything they run to the top waiting for food.... I feel terrible so I fed them 2 times today and they ate EVERY darn flake I put in there and 5 min later wanted more.. so I put 12 more flakes in and they ate all those too!!!! FINALLY they left that one side and started just swimming around I DONT want to overfeed OR starve..

Whats going on??? there fish are like RUNNING to the glass when I walk around

Hehe you have fallen prey to fish beggars :) one feeding a day is more than enough. Keep in mind their stomach is about the size of their eye.

I have 16 cichlids that do the same thing every time I'm near the tank.

Ohh heck I did not know that .. Fish Beg for food??? I was feeling REAL bad everytime I passed the tank!!! so I was feeding 2 to 3 times and id wait till they were done and would swim away!!

There is NO food in my tank I did NOT give these fish anything they did not Eat.. but my brother said once every other day but his fish always die so I dotn listen to that advice!!!

These fish should be dead anyway with the Amon levels High like they are since its a new tank I have no idea how they are alive

During my fish in cycle i only fed my fish every other day, i lost none.

Your brothers fish dying and him feeding every other day are unlikely to be related. The deaths are likely caused by something like water parameters. And as above, if you ammonia is high why don't you change some water? Your fish won't be comfortable.

Reactions: HN1
People told me not to change the water..
Said it would make no difference since it's a
3 week old tank and the canister filter is brand
New.. Told me to not add any anti ammonia stuff
I do have stress zyme bacteria going in there..
But then again I'm sure people have opinions on that
I read all the info on cycling a tank

Well after Christmas my bro brought some
Tiger barb over and some little community
Fish to get the tank going ..

Will a water change even matter if it's a new
Tank and the canister filter is brand new ..

Once a filter is established it will more or less instantly change Ammonia (fish waste) into NO2 (nitrites) and then NO3(nitrates). Without an established, or cycled filter you have to take the ammonia out instead, the filter will in time build up the relevant bacteria to do this for you, once done you can get away with a once weekly water change of around 30% usually, you want to keep the NO3 under 30ppm.

Please read this topic - http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/fish-in-cycling-step-over-into-the-dark-side-176446.html

Zyme does nothing, as you can see. Some fish are more tolerant to high ammonia levels.
Doing some partial water changes will lower the ammonia and make it better overall for the fish while the cycling is going on.

People told me not to change the water..
Said it would make no difference since it's a
3 week old tank and the canister filter is brand
New.. Told me to not add any anti ammonia stuff
I do have stress zyme bacteria going in there..
But then again I'm sure people have opinions on that
I read all the info on cycling a tank

Well after Christmas my bro brought some
Tiger barb over and some little community
Fish to get the tank going ..

Will a water change even matter if it's a new
Tank and the canister filter is brand new ..

Whoever told you not to do water changes during a fish in cycle; you can go ahead and throw any advice they give to you straight in the garbage. Ammonia is a highly toxic substance to fish and will kill them at very low concentrations. Doing water changes dilutes the concentration of ammonia keeping it at safe levels for your fish while the BB are establishing themselves. Anyone telling you to not do water changes in a fish in cycle is a fool.

The link provided for cycling your tank is an important one to read. Also, this is another good link for you to take a look at.

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

I'm thinking they told you not to do water changes when doing a fishless cycle?

Water changes can't hurt the cycle. Unless it is with untreated water. As long as you use a water treatment in the water being replaced it can only help the fish. The bacteria is in the filter, not the water.

Fish will eat until they explode. And the more they eat the more they poop, so that will spoil the water quickly. Feeding every other day is fine.

Water changes can't hurt the cycle. Unless it is with untreated water. As long as you use a water treatment in the water being replaced it can only help the fish. The bacteria is in the filter, not the water.

By untreated water do you mean using that
Chlorine removing chemical I have??

If so do you have to treat water before the change?
Or do I dump the water in the tank then toss the chlorine
Remover in it

Ya the dechlorination stuff. Just add the amount the bottles directions recommend for the entire amount of water for your tank while adding the new water.

Ya the dechlorination stuff. Just add the amount the bottles directions recommend for the entire amount of water for your tank while adding the new water.

If you are changing water by the bucket, only dose the water in the bucket for the volume of the bucket. If you are changing by python or the like, then dose for tank volume.

I have 4 tiger barb and 2 mollies in a new tank..

I figured they would be dead by now since its a 3 week old tank..

I feed them once a day.. BUT they ALWAYS hang around the one side of the tank I feed them and even when I get off the sofa to do anything they run to the top waiting for food.... I feel terrible so I fed them 2 times today and they ate EVERY darn flake I put in there and 5 min later wanted more.. so I put 12 more flakes in and they ate all those too!!!! FINALLY they left that one side and started just swimming around I DONT want to overfeed OR starve..

Whats going on??? there fish are like RUNNING to the glass when I walk around

Fish will always beg. they learn very quickly that when you're nearby, they might get food. As some of the others said, they will eat till they explode. Just once a day is plenty and only what they can eat in 2-3 minutes. Also fasting them for a day every week will be good. Helps them clean out their system and be a healthy fish for you :fish2:

Back
Top Bottom