Feeding my harlequin rasbora's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DazF

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys, quick question.

I have a 28l planted tank with a male betta, 5 harlequin rasboras and a few cherry shrimp.

Feeding my betta is simple, I open the lid, he knows its feeding time (he's a little piggy!) and waits for his floating betta pellets...

The harlies on the other hand are a bit of a nightmare. I am feeding them standard tropical flakes. With the filter on, as you can imagine in my small tank the food sinks and goes everywhere, they dont seem to notice for a while and once they do they go crazy but dont seem to get too much before it sinks to the bottom, so it makes it really difficult so see how much they have actually eaten.
I have tried turning the filter off while feeding so that the flakes stay at the top a little longer but they dont seem to notice :/

Whats the best way to keep track of what they are eating or make them come up for feeding?

Thanks guys

Mine honestly go nuts once I open the lid. Mine are aggressive eaters.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I stopped trying to watch if every fish was eating. There is just too much activity. I just keep an eye on the more expensive centerpiece fish nowadays.

As for my rasboras.. they tend to be piglets but if you are worried about food being left uneaten then I would look into some more bottom feeders. Dropping the food directly into the flow will circulate the scent of the food around the tank quicker so that might bring them out faster.

On a side note, it might have something to do with the size of the tank. 28 liters is a bit too small for harlequin rasbora. They really need a 40 liter minimum.

Yeah i got harlequins in my 75 with tiger barbs , blue rams, and pearl gouramis and my harlequins have no problem holding their own come feeding time. Funny thing is their is one harlequin in the tank who is a bully and he is constantly chasing the tiger barbs.

I have to agree that a 28 litre tank is a bit small for harlies. I suggest you look into a larger tank for them long term. There are some awesome little dwarf rasboras though that would work a great substitute with your betta in your tank.
For the time being, I agree that agonizing over how much they are eating will run you ragged. They are likely getting enough, and they will definitely pick it off the gravel right after it falls as well. It you are too concerned, put in a few flakes at first and when that gets them riled up, put in the rest of the food.

Ow man so gutted :( i read that they need 30 litres for 6, so thought a school of 5 in a 28 litre would be ok...

I have asked my aunt if she could re-home them in her tank for me but she has all quite large fish. 2 angels, some gouramis, 2 parrot cichlids, a golden loach, a couple of dalmation mollies...

Will these all be ok with harlies?

Back
Top Bottom