feeding my oto

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elle2

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was wondering if there is anything I should/could be feeding my oto. Its a fairly new tank but I do have some algae- but it is mostly on places he doesn't seem to like (ie. plants and driftwood). he is really determined to look for food only on the glass but I don't think there is much there for him (nothing that I can see anyway).

I bought some algae pellets, but since he only wants to bother with the glass he isn't getting to them. I am worried he' s not getting enough food.

I give my otos some blanched zucchini (sliced zucchini nuked in the microwave in shallow water for about 10 seconds, then cooled) every once in a while. I hang it at the front of the tank, so it's against the glass and they notice it quicker. I tie a piece of plant weight/gravel rock to the end of thread/fishline, then thread that thread through the zucchini slice. The otos seem to like it better when it's been in the tank for about 24 hours, then they're all over it. They also like the skin, which I thought was weird.

My otos don't like the algae pellets, even when they notice them. The danios were more interested than the otos were.

My otos moved to plants and the driftwood after a while, so maybe they just need some time to get comfortable with their new tank environment.

Good luck!

The ottos in my 29g eat algae wafers (Hikari brand) and shrimp pellets. Strange, because I thought they were herbivores...but they go for the shrimp pellets like the cories do.

The lone otto in my 10g I have never seen eat a wafer. He is on the glass or the plants all day. As long as he is alive, I guess he is getting algae somewhere.

The 2 in my 55g prefer the plants and driftwood to algae wafers. So, they are all different.

Thanks- I wouldn't have thought of zuchini.

I notice that some people feed their plecos lettuce- think an oto would like it?

think an oto would like it?
Maybe! It won't hurt to try. I've figured out that they are all different. Between my 3 tanks, they eat different things. Try some lettuce and zucchini. My bristlenose likes cucumber.

Elle2 said:
Thanks- I wouldn't have thought of zuchini.

I notice that some people feed their plecos lettuce- think an oto would like it?

I think lettuce is okay. Never tried it myself.
However, I think iceberg lettuce is bad - the good stuff is romaine lettuce.

:)

Back
Top Bottom