Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-11-2018, 05:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Angry feeding neon tetras

their little mouth is so small, they take in a piece of flake and then spit it out. they dont seem to be eating but they are still alive, well 2 of 5 are , from 2 weeks of purchase. its a new tank 5 gal. mine do not pay any attention to flakes, dried blood worms or granules. i just sent for brine shrimp, any help would be appreciated.
funchi

Old 10-11-2018, 05:24 PM   #2
ZxC
Aquarium Advice Addict

5 gallons is really small. even for neons.

Was the tank cycled?
Do you run a filter?
Do you run a heater?

If it were easy we wouldn't be here
ZxC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:28 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I feed mine hakari micro pellets
Old 10-13-2018, 11:25 PM   #4
Grand Poobah of Fish Poo

Even if they're spitting out, they're often getting bits of the food. You'll often see them take it back in as they nibble at it. I also feed mine Hikari frozen baby brine, if the neons are especially small.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:47 AM   #5

im trying to raise brine shrimp for them and our beta, i hope that will work, thanks for your reply
Old 10-16-2018, 02:59 AM   #6

We've had a bout of Neon Tetra Disease in our tanks. Look for discolored fins, twisted spine, bloated stomach, etc. If they're acting fishy get them out. They'll usually give you signs they're not going to make it. Once they die and another starts to eat on them the parasite transfers. I'll know better next time not to see it in some and get the "healthy ones".
Old 10-16-2018, 01:03 PM   #7

hi, my tetras disappeared at night, every morning there was one less. i didnt notice anything was wrong with them but they were a recent purchase so you can only guess what went wrong. i have one left and i fooled around growing a small batch of brine shrimp, he gobbled them up!! i wonder if that batch of tetras were possibly raised on brine shrimp. my beta loved them also so now that's my next endeavor raising some brine shrimp for my fish. i know you will replace your tetras and i wish you good luck. i did read in my research that the tetras like a ph of 6.5 to 7.0(from my test strip literature) i changed my ph and my one remaining tetra seems to be doing ok
thanks
Old 10-22-2018, 12:15 PM   #8

thanks so much, i took your advice and bought the pellets, the neons will bite at it and when it breaks up they eat some of it. this batch of neons seems small to me, its hard to compare them because when i go to different pet stores they are always sold out of neons.
nancy

Tags
feed, feeding, neon, neon tetra, neon tetras, tetra, tetras

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com