feeding neon tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

funchi777

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
their little mouth is so small, they take in a piece of flake and then spit it out. they dont seem to be eating but they are still alive, well 2 of 5 are , from 2 weeks of purchase. its a new tank 5 gal. mine do not pay any attention to flakes, dried blood worms or granules. i just sent for brine shrimp, any help would be appreciated.
funchi:fish2:

5 gallons is really small. even for neons.

Was the tank cycled?
Do you run a filter?
Do you run a heater?

Even if they're spitting out, they're often getting bits of the food. You'll often see them take it back in as they nibble at it. I also feed mine Hikari frozen baby brine, if the neons are especially small.

We've had a bout of Neon Tetra Disease in our tanks. Look for discolored fins, twisted spine, bloated stomach, etc. If they're acting fishy :cool: get them out. They'll usually give you signs they're not going to make it. Once they die and another starts to eat on them the parasite transfers. I'll know better next time not to see it in some and get the "healthy ones".

hi, my tetras disappeared at night, every morning there was one less. i didnt notice anything was wrong with them but they were a recent purchase so you can only guess what went wrong. i have one left and i fooled around growing a small batch of brine shrimp, he gobbled them up!! i wonder if that batch of tetras were possibly raised on brine shrimp. my beta loved them also so now that's my next endeavor raising some brine shrimp for my fish. i know you will replace your tetras and i wish you good luck. i did read in my research that the tetras like a ph of 6.5 to 7.0(from my test strip literature) i changed my ph and my one remaining tetra seems to be doing ok
thanks

thanks so much, i took your advice and bought the pellets, the neons will bite at it and when it breaks up they eat some of it. this batch of neons seems small to me, its hard to compare them because when i go to different pet stores they are always sold out of neons.
nancy

Back
Top Bottom