feeding new fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
a goldfish does not belong in an 8 gallon tank.20 gallon minimum

a goldfish does not belong in an 8 gallon tank.20 gallon minimum

+1

Goldfish grow far too big and create far too much waste for 8gal. Sure people keep them in bowls, but it is cruel to the fish and will stress/shorten its life extensively.Not too mention the platy likes a lot warmer water than the goldfish.

We are just trying to inform you of the goldfishes requirements. They may seem fine now, but that will not last for long. The platy is not compatible with the goldfish because of temperature. A goldfish is a poop machine and will quickly foul the water. Thy also grow too large for an eight gallon. This will cause stunting, which is a slow and painful death. Any one is free to correct me if I've said anything that's incorrect.

As for food, for my fish, I generally feed my fish what they can eat in a two to three minute period, once a day.

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.

morbius said:
yes my 8 gallon biorb they have been in water about 15 hours the first fish in there. thanks

Well a lot of books say it take a day or two for fish to get settled into their new environment. Also you shouldn't feed them until then.

I hope you got an awesome filter system btw or your fob won't last that long

morbius said:
hi I actually have one shubunkin,one comet ,two minnows and a platy who must be wearing a jacket cos he seems contented the have all been in nearly a week now.

It's only a week

Why would we lie to you? You came to an advice website. These people are telling the truth and giving you good advice. If you don't choose to take it, then good for you I guess. We're just trying to make sure these fish are provided with appropriate conditions.

Last edited:
Just to clarify, we aren't trying to put you down or say that tour wrong, we are trying to help save you money and grief in the long run. It may work temporarily, but that is a very short temporary. We are trying to give you the knowledge you need to give your fish their best lives. We aren't trying to be mean. Rudeness and meaness are not accepted on this forum.

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.

morbius said:
nobody called anyone a liar or anybody being deceitful I take on board what you guys are saying but please take a chill pill

Your the one that freak out and said to tell the fish that they aren't happy lol

The reason everyone has brought up the fact that the tank is too small is because we all (or at least the biggest majority of us) care about fish.

I agree that the tank is too small. You really need to rehome the goldfish or get a bigger tank as others have said.

I hope you understand why we are telling you this. We're just looking out for the best interest of the fish.

Goldfish are similar to Koi in a small pond and can go up to 2 weeks without feeding. But, most comments are correct in your incorrect tank size. 1" inch per gallon is about fair. Plus, goldfish are huge waste producers. Expect to do a water change at least once a week.

morbius said:
nobody called anyone a liar or anybody being deceitful I take on board what you guys are saying but please take a chill pill

Morbius: welcome to AA, you will find here great advice regarding this hobby, all with good intentions for your fish tank, and yes, many times there are disagreements, or different points of view among members.

But also there are times where the advice is not a matter of opinion or point of view, it is just based on facts, based on what specific type of fish require for their long term well being. And this is your case as others mentioned. It is not that people don't chill out! They are trying to help, and we all are passionate about fish keeping !!!

Time for a first feeding varies so much from fish to fish that I don't have a general rule. My killies ate within ten minutes of entering the tank. My hoplos took food minutes after they hit the water. My old oscar pouted in a corner for a day and wouldn't touch food.

Back
Top Bottom