Feeding Oto's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tabitha

Aquarium Advice Activist
i just got 3 oto's and was wondering what everyone feeds their's...what brand algae tabs, and what other foods? right now mine have plenty of algae to munch on, but i'm getting zucchini tomorrow cause someone said they love it. and i will try some cucumbers also..

anyways any suggestions?

I have seen mine eat flake food and bloodworms as well. Not sure if thats the norm for all oto's but mine are happy to partake in what ever is being fed to others...

I put a number of different vegetarian foods in the tank with the otos: Hikari algae wafers, Hikari Tropical Sinking wafers, Bio-Blend Herbivore and Ocean Nutrition Formula Two. Do they eat it? Dunno LOL they're not like my other guys in the tank that come arunnin' when food enters the tank, but they're hale n hearty :) Oh, and there is always algae in the tank, although they never seem to touch it.

^i was told they only eat the brown algae so that could be the reason they arent touching yours. they have picked at some of my green algae but the brown is nearly gone now.

Yep; my guys INHALED the brown algae (diatoms) when they entered the tank; they could care less about the green tho.

Hikari Sinking Algae Wafers. Sometimes they chew on the driftwood, but I'm not sure if they're eating something off it or what.

I was feeding my cories algea wafers last night and the otto's joined them for dinner.. I watched for a while as they all kinda had dinner together. The algea wafers I use are small circles. I break them into quarter pieces so that there is four pieces spread out so everyone can get their share. Otherwise my large female would just sit and eat all of it while the rest watched.

I am trying Wardley algae wafers right now. I've only had my 3 otos since the beginning of the month. I throw in a broken up algae wafer every 2-3 days. Sometimes I notice one has found a piece, but I don't normally see them eat it. The brown algae in my tank is pretty much gone, except on the very edges of some of my silk plants.

well i fed them zucchini and they absoultely adored it!! anyway that was suggested on another forum so i tried it and they were all over it... i figure that will be their 'treat' food not an every day thing.. anyways thanks for everyone's input!! i think i will buy the hikari algae wafers since everyone seems to use them.

and any other suggestions are welcome too!!

Back
Top Bottom