Feeding Plecos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hacket

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello, Just thought I'd introduce myself and ask a question at the same time.

I recently bought a little albino pleco to take care of the algae problem in my tank. But he took care of it in one night! I have algae wafers and so I'm just curious how often should I feed him? I was thinking maybe half a wafer every 3 days or so?

Welcome to AA! :D

I've actually been wondering this myself, but I just haven't gotten around to making a thread about it yet due to the holiday weekend and stuff. My apologies if it seems like I'm hijacking your thread, but I figured it would be best to include my almost identicle question within this thread rather than start an entirely new one. Hopefully we can both get our questions answered!

I introduced two fairly young (got them from a breeder) BN plecos to my 55 gallon planted tank a couple weeks ago to help with some algae and also because I think they're really cute looking. They seemed to clean up some of my algae that I had in my tank, but not all of it, although most of it was just due to insufficient/inconsistent amounts of CO2 in my tank because I didn't have pressurized CO2 until last week. They both seem to be healthy, fairly active during the day (well, as active as you can expect a pleco to be during the day), and usually all over the place at night when my LEDs come on, but I am unsure how to effectively feed algae wafers to them because any time I drop in an algae wafer, even if I just fed the rest of the fish right before, my loaches, mollies, and gouramis just attack it and continue munching away at it until there's nothing left of it, and I don't even think the plecos notice that it's there because they tend to hang out underneathe of driftwood or way in the back of my tank or under rocks and such. If I put it in at night when just my LEDs are lighting the tank, eventually the other fish find it and start picking away at it and by morning it is gone.

I can only assume that the plecos have been surviving on various food sources that I can't really see because they are still doing fine almost three weeks after being introduced to my tank, and one of them is growing pretty fast as well. I guess I've just never understood how to effectively feed a pleco since none that I've ever had seem to dart straight to food like other fish do when it enters a tank.

One algae wafer per day, I use a long pair of tweezers and slide mine into a crevice or under a rock where there is room for only the pleco. If you don't have this in your tank, slide it under the driftwood, or build a little "cave" that the pleco and only the pleco can fit.

Welcome to AA! :)

Feeding an algae wafer every third day or so should be fine for your pleco. Try to put it in after lights out. Do you know what type it is? Some get VERY big. They will also appreciate some fresh veggies from time to time.

Neuro- Fresh veggis (maybe blanched) every now and then would be good for your's as well. Zuchinni, Cuc, Spinach, Romaine, etc. The loaches won't mess with veggies as much as the wafers.

Veggies sounds like a good idea. What is the best way to go about preparing it and delivering it to them? I keep a garden each summer, and I have cucumbers and both romaine and tiny leaf lettuce growing in it this year, both of which are ready to be picked (actually made a nice salad out of some of them earlier today), so maybe I'll get some of that for them and see how they like it. Should I just lay it in the tank somewhere and hope that they find it eventually? Or should I clip it onto one of those little clips that are often used for seaweed and such in saltwater tanks? And how long should I keep the veggies in the tank before removing them, assuming they are not completely eaten? Is it still best to put them in at night if the other fish probably won't bother them, or should it not matter as much? Lastly, is there any specific placement I should put them within my tank to ensure that my plecos find it and eat it?

Sorry for all of the questions! My plecos are the only fish I have that still seem to baffle me when it comes to proper feeding habits, haha. The rest of my fish do very well and I have special little daily routines for feeding each of them and they have all become pretty accustomed to them now :)

Thanks again for the advice, hopefully I can get my plecos to start eating more very soon.

Your lucky! I can't get lettuce to grow down here! lol

Attaching it to a veggie clip makes it easy to remove. As far as preparation goes, you can blanch it slightly or just leave it in the tank a bit longer. I usually rinse them well and then nuke em for 10 - 20 seconds to soften them up a bit. I usually remove them after 24 - 48 hours depending on which type. Keep an eye on it and just make sure to remove them before they start to disintegrate on you.

I'm sorry you can't grow lettuce! I have so much of it right now I don't know what to do with it all, lol. My cucumbers have just started growing big enough to begin picking, I had my second one today. Hopefully a few more will be ready later this week. Another week or two and I'll be swamped with tomatoes too. You mentioned cucumber too, would I just blanch that as well and put it on a veggie clip or something? Should I leave the peeling on it or remove it? I've also heard that clown loaches enjoy an occasional cucumber, but I have yet to try it with mine, but maybe this will be a good time to do so.

I'm going to prepare some lettuce tomorrow and see how my plecos like it!

With the cucumber, slice it lengthwise and remove all the seeds you can. Then blanch it or just leave it in the tank for a bit longer. I leave it unpeeled and just cleaned well.

Sounds simple enough. I'm excited to see how it turns out! I hope they end up enjoying it and eating it fairly well :D Thanks again for all of your help, I'll let you know how it goes later this week.

It's a small albino. I'm not sure what kind. I'm going to try getting some pics up sometime as soon as I can figure out how to get my camera to focus up close...sigh. Haha. Thanks for the responses. I can't wait until I have a garden!

The garden is fun and a complimentary distraction to the tanks.

Where'd you get the pleco? That can almost determine what types you may have even without a pic. I do love fishy photos though. :)

I've attached a picture of him/her. It's about the best I can get haha. I got it in Minnesota.

Attachments

• HPIM0473.jpg
    HPIM0473.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 102
It looks like it may be a juvenile Bristlenose, but I'm not sure.

That's actually what I was thinking. Only it doesn't have any bristles so it's probably female.

Just thought I'd update this post real quick to tell you about my pleco. I did what you suggested, HN1, and I blanched some lettuce out of my garden, clipped one piece of it to the glass in the back and I wrapped a little lead plant weight around another smaller piece of it and just let it stay down on the bottom weighed down. I just checked this morning and the piece that was on the ground is completely gone! There's just a few little strings of it left wrapped within the weight, and the piece clipped to the back of the tank has a bunch of little holes and pieces missing out of it where I guess one of my plecos were munching on it during the night. Really surprised to see that they ate so much of it! Is that normal for them to eat so much overnight? And how often should I give them fresh veggies like that?

Glad to hear they liked it! :)

I'd just add the veggies 2-3 times per week or they'll get down right obese! lol Try different stuff too. I've had some that loved cucs, but wouldn't touch lettuce. They can be picky.

I'll be sure to mix it up and see what they like the most. I have three young BN plecos in my tank right now so I'm not sure if all of them were eating the lettuce last night or just one or two of them. I just picked four cucumbers out of the garden yesterday, and I have probably a half dozen more than should be ready over the weekend, so maybe I'll see how they do with cucumber in a couple days.

Thanks again for the feeding advice, I feel much better now that I know my little plecos are eating well :D

I just looked at the other piece of lettuce that I had clipped onto the back of my tank. Earlier this morning they had just munched some holes through parts of the piece of lettuce, and chewed away some of the edges, but to my surprise when I checked it a few minutes ago they had completely stripped it clean, I couldn't believe it! I had to take a picture to show you guys the end results.

I guess my plecos' bellies should be full for a few days after feasting on all of that lettuce, haha :D

Attachments

• pleconomnom.jpg
    pleconomnom.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 67
Back
Top Bottom