Feeding question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishguy17

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok we'll I've heard of people feeding their fish six days a week and not feeding them at all one day a week. To help clear out their systems. I was wondering should i do this and would it help the health of my fish.

There's nothing wrong with that. I do the same thing because it's good to clear out their system and it also prevents overfeeding. Feeding them everyday isn't a problem either. Fish can go a very long time without being fed so one day can't hurt them.

There's nothing wrong with that. I do the same thing because it's good to clear out their system and it also prevents overfeeding. Feeding them everyday isn't a problem either. Fish can go a very long time without being fed so one day can't hurt them.

One a day or twice a day? I hear both which do you recommend

One a day or twice a day? I hear both which do you recommend

It usually depends on the fish but I've been feeding my fish only once a day for years. In my shrimp tanks, I'll feed twice a day in extremely small amounts to make sure the fish would not disturb the shrimp when it came time to drop pellets for the shrimp.

Hello Fish...

Aquarium fish in the wild are lucky to eat once a week. They may eat well one day and then, not eat for a couple of weeks. These fish are built to go at least a couple of weeks without food. So, unless you have fry you're trying to raise, your fish don't need to eat but a couple of times a week. They'll forage around the tank for every leftover and your tank stays cleaner, longer.

The key to healthy fish is feed a little, but feed a variety of good food. Frozen is probably the most nutritious. It has the fewest additives. Additives simply extend the life of the product and aren't necessarily good for the fish. Look for frozen bloodworms, any of the shrimps like brine and Mysis, plankton, krill and beef heart are very good.

Minced garlic is a super food for fish. It has no additives and is loaded with vitamins and natural antibiotics. An algae biscuit is good once or twice a week.

In general, look at the contents on the label. If there's a name you don't recognize, I recommend passing on it.

B

Back
Top Bottom