Feeding question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fastfly48

Aquarium Advice Freak
I feed every morning...

I feed my 7 neons, 1 dwarf blue ram, 1 danio (lonely), 1 cory (getting more soon don't worry!) and two plecos a pinch of complete fish food....

But only the neons get the food. I'm esp. worried about the ram, I'm sure he hasn't eaten sice I got him a week about, his stomach has shrunk and i'm worried. Why won't he eat?
I whatch them at feeding time and all the pellets are gobbled up by the neons...nothings left for the others...but If i put in more it just sinks to the bottom because the others don't seem interested. What should I do?

Thank you.
Ry.

I would try feeding just before you turn off the lights. My neons fall asleep right away when I turn off the lights, where as bottom dwellers seem to be a bit more nocturnal.

Keep us posted.

Does the Ram seem interested in the food? I always fed mine frozen brine shrimp and frozen bloodworms, they loved it! Also, you could try "tricking" the neons by feeding them on one side of the tank and giving the ram food on the other side . . .

Do you turn your filter off during feeding?

Also, you could try "tricking" the neons by feeding them on one side of the tank and giving the ram food on the other side . . .
That's the way I do it too. That way the slow fishes have the opportunity to get some food too. Or I feed some Tetra Min Tropical Granules. The endlers are to small to fit it into their mouths.

Thansk for all of that guys. :D

This morning my ram actually came forward from the back of the tank at feeding time and tried some food. First time I've seen him actually take some action to get some food...so I guess that made him interested...
He kind of sucked it in then spat it out...then sucked it in then spat it out...until he FINALY ate it. :roll: Could that mean that he doesn't like the food I'm feeding? I'm guessing he was so hungry he would have eaten anything! :(

I will feed alittle once I turn off the light to help out my bottom guys out a little....thanks for the tip! :D
oh, and I turn the filter power down as low as it goes while I'm feeding.

I shall also try that tricking you suggested! :twisted:

Thanks again...and I shall keep you posted!
Cheers.
Ryland

what kind of pleco's? Your pleco's will really go to town on a slice of zuchini...

Could that mean that he doesn't like the food I'm feeding? I'm guessing he was so hungry he would have eaten anything!

I'm guessing that your Ram is still a little intimidated by his surroundings. Sinking pellet food (ie: cichlid crumbles) or other slow-sinking food is what he is looking for.

Thanks guys. :D

My pleco's are bristle nose. zuchini hey?...cool.
If they don't take intrest in it should I remove it? How long should I leave it in the tank? Thanks for the tip!

Yes. I think little ramy is a little intimidated. :roll:
Yep, I'm feeding slow sinking pellet food. He has great eyes though! He's the only one that can swim straight to the food on the gravel and eat it! For the others once the food hits the bottom it becomes invisible to them! Seems he likes eating off the floor! Not very classy! 8)
Though he is getting a bit braver now...spending more time in the open water and playing with the others. Ah, I'm sounding like a parent! :lol:

Well, thanks again for your suggestions!
Cheers.
Ryland

I leave mine in a few days.. it's usually gone after 24 hours.. but for example i put some in last night and today there is a little piece left and an Oto is nibbling on it. The pleco's usually fund it pretty quick and then as it decays a bit my oto's eat the rest. I wouldn't leave it more than 2 days.

go and buy a 1kg block of kangaroo meat from woolworths ( the vaccum sealed ones for animals)
cut a slice off when it's frozen and let it defrost in a bit of tank water for 1/2 hr.
pour the blood/water mix in before you feed them the meat and i garauntee they will all come from nowhere to eat.
When i get new fish (carni and omnivores anyway) and they aren't eating, I do this, i've noticed it helps them feel more comfortable

good luck

Matt.

Thanks matt.
It's great to hear some familiar shop name!

So you pour the bloody water into your tank! Not too much I guess?..
Thanks for the tip! I'll give it a shot.

I left that zuccini in the tank for a 24hrs. One of my plecos seemed interested, sucking himself onto it...but none of it was eaten. :(
Must have been bad zuccini! :roll:

Ry.

Back
Top Bottom