Feeding Regimen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ricky, phrases like high protein pellets and normal fish flake can mean many different things. You'll get better help if you can be more specific.

Fish food sellers can stick on the phrase "high protein" even when it isn't, or when the protein is mostly from grain.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Flake as in normal fish flake, High protein pellets, so these pellets do sink, I was thinking they will eat them, and what flake gets dropped, what sayeth you........:whistle:

Normal flake food could be considered tetramin, which is garbage.

Protein percentages are not nearly as important as the quality of the proteins. As was mentioned, protein could be coming from soy and other low quality sources.

The only way to ascertain the quality of the food is to examine the label.

In my experience keeping synodontis, they have big appetites and need to be fed. None of my bottom feeders rely on scraps and leftovers. That's what the trumpet snails are for :)

Ricky.. list the brand names, don't be bashful..it's very important as 60% of readily available fish food is crappppppolahhhhhh. I secretly feed sera marine pellets to my tropical cats... shhhhhh they're delicious..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok here goes....Flake, fish meal, soya dehulled, extracted, toasted,wheat feed flour, plankton, yeast, fish oil, premix contains spirulina........protein49% oil 5% fibre 2% ash7%

jmc high protein pellets... fish meal, fish oil, wheat, maize gluten 60%, fish protein concentrate, crustacean meal, vitamins, lecithin, minerals, and permitted antioxidants.......

The Flake is wharf own brand, they are top LFS here and people come from all over the country to them, so I trust them, the other problem is, no matter what goes in the tank the 2 Angels are at it first, some does get to the substrate, is there a way round this.......

I am off to Norfolk for 5 days tomorrow am going to set my auto feeder with the pellets,
many thanks for your concern and apologies to A-holic..........

Last edited:
No worries buddy :)

I make sure all the fish in a tank get their fair share by depositing the food in the filters outflow. This disperses the food throughout the tank, which makes it hard for any particular fish to hog it all. I know some people like to turn off the filter when they feed, but I think still water encourages gluttonous fish to claim/eat all the food.

In my opinion, sometimes a degree of over feeding in necessary in order to make sure that all the fish eat. Because of this, I think that it's important to fed high quality foods that are easily digestible as to help prevent digestive issues. Foods that have a lot of wheat, corn, rice and soy are not easily digestible and so fish that eat more than others would be at risk.

As an example, I have a school of 10 pictus cats in my 125. They are like little vacuums - I cannot keep the BGK and bichirs fed without allowing the catfish to eat their fill.

Aquaholic,
My feeding regimen is probably quite funny to watch. I have gluttonous rainbows and skittish silver dollars so I have to distract the rainbows to get any food to sink...they will chomp on anything! So feeding time is like a challenge to get the timing right. What the rainbows don't nab, silver dollars slurp off the bottom and then the cories have nothing left so I have to get food into certain places and time my drops just right or either someone doesn't eat or I freak them out. If someone offers to feed the fish for me I just shake my head and laugh. Vacation frightens me lol

Yeah I have silver dollars in the 125 with them, but as they have no trouble getting their share. I use the same method to feed the tank with rainbows, which are kept with loaches. I only feed NLS so I don't worry about things like bloat and constipation.

Another key is to feed smaller foods - that makes it easier for the fish to all get their share.

Nice! Yeah what's too small for the silver dollars the rainbows go to munch town on, even if it's sitting on the bottom.
Not to get off topic but do you ever feed your silver dollars vegetables? I tried lettuce but they couldn't have cared less about it.

Yeah I have silver dollars in the 125 with them, but as they have no trouble getting their share. I use the same method to feed the tank with rainbows, which are kept with loaches. I only feed NLS so I don't worry about things like bloat and constipation.

Another key is to feed smaller foods - that makes it easier for the fish to all get their share.

What is NLS?

I feed Hikari sinking wafers for the peppered corries. But as soon as I drop Tubifex worms in, the corries dart to the top and stay up there till they've ate them all. I feed Omega 1 flakes for the rest of the tank, I'm sure the corries get a small amount of the flake but not much. Algae wafers and an occasional zucchini slice for pleco and shrimps.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I feed Omega One color flakes.
Here is a link to ingredients
http://www.omegasea.net/products/nutrition/super-color-flakes

I feed live and frozen Brine Shrimp and Bloodworms. I use a Turkey Baster to target feed.

I feed Omega One sinking Shrimp Pellets.

I also feed carnivore wafers.

Their favorite besides Live food is Repashy Gel foods.

I rotate diets. I don't feed Cories Algae Wafers. If they eat some it won't hurt them, but it should not be their main food.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418293564.779033.jpg

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My cories go to munch town on algae wafers for some reason. I feed them sinking shrimp pellets which they love but they don't seem to be picky. Plus they vacuum up whatever floats down, flakes, tubifex, bloodworms, brine shrimp. They're little piggies.

Back
Top Bottom