Feeding rest day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm going to start a "fasting day" as well. I don't think that I was necessarily over-feeding in the past, but most of my (formerly juvenile) fish have put on a half inch or so of growth over the past four or so months. I can afford to slow down a little now.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I fast sat or sun.. after a mega protein meal.. follow up meal is usually flake or cyclops..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I fast sat or sun.. after a mega protein meal.. follow up meal is usually flake or cyclops..

Way off track but I read the first line and thought is it the fish fasting or Brookster fasting after Sunday roast lunch :)

If you've seen a pic of me in the avatar thread?? You'd know I've never missed a meal in my entire life;)

Personally, I think it is experience. I think the key is to understand what the fish is supposed to look like. For most species there are pics of wild fish in their natural habitat. I use those pics as a guide. If my fish are fatter than that then I am feeding too much, bellies more hollowed than that then the need more food. Eventually you figure it out.

How old they are also matters. I am much more willing to overfeed juvenile fish a little while I would rather have full size adults on the healthy but hungry side.

I have found that there are no universal feeding amounts. I have some fish that all the food is gone in less than a minute and others that need 30 minutes to get it all. It just depends on the fish and their feeding behavior.

For me, the bigger challenge is finding the right balance of food that ensure that everyone gets fed. It is too easy to get only half the tank fed sometimes. Feed flake or floating pellets and the upper level fish can get it all before the bottom dwellers. Feed sinking pellets and some top level feeders won't get to eat unless you get the timing just right.

I'm in total agreement.

I make sure the fish all get their fair share by feeding small foods. 1-2 mm is all I feed, even to the big fish. It's hard to hog all the food when it's everywhere. Dropping the food in the filter outflow will disperse it throughout the tank.

Depending on your stock, it can be necessary to overfeed to some degree. Feeding a high quality, easily digestible food is key to preventing issues as a result of the extra food.

I now do this aqua-h, after you told me, it is a great way to feed the ground dwellers, some fish have now cottoned on to it and wait in the corner for the food to drop..........

Back
Top Bottom