Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-12-2014, 01:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Feeding rest day

I would like to know how many on here have a rest day from feeding your fish
weekly, monthly or never..........

Old 11-12-2014, 01:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

When I had my betta i use too not feed on a Sunday, but I never skip a feed with my elephant nose.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 11-12-2014, 04:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

No Feed Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky 1 View Post
I would like to know how many on here have a rest day from feeding your fish
weekly, monthly or never..........
Hello Ric...

If you don't feed much in the first place, your fish will get used to foraging for leftovers and keep the tank clean. You really don't need a day that the fish aren't fed. But, if you're a little lavish on feeding, then a "no feeding" day every once in a while will encourage the fish to look into all the little cracks and such for a leftover and keep their place a bit cleaner.

B
Old 11-12-2014, 04:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quick answer.
Often.
Sometimes they get fed twice a day (depends on tank)
Sometimes a tank will go 3 days without food (really for bigger fish only)

Normally one feed a day. Although I have a tank which needs no food?
J.Mcpeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 04:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I generally feed fry 2-3x daily.

Adults get fed once per day.

I usually skip one day per week but it isn't always the same day. I also feed a different amount every day.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:02 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So is it down to quantity, but how do you equate quantity? The rule of thumb is as much to eat in 3 to 5 minutes, do you get a "feel" for the right amount through experience?
Old 11-12-2014, 05:09 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
So is it down to quantity, but how do you equate quantity? The rule of thumb is as much to eat in 3 to 5 minutes, do you get a "feel" for the right amount through experience?

I think that 'feed for 3-5min' thing is FAR too much.

I generally feed until the a pellet touches the bottom, or when I can see the fish not going after the food as aggressively.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 11-12-2014, 05:10 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Personally, I think it is experience. I think the key is to understand what the fish is supposed to look like. For most species there are pics of wild fish in their natural habitat. I use those pics as a guide. If my fish are fatter than that then I am feeding too much, bellies more hollowed than that then the need more food. Eventually you figure it out.

How old they are also matters. I am much more willing to overfeed juvenile fish a little while I would rather have full size adults on the healthy but hungry side.

I have found that there are no universal feeding amounts. I have some fish that all the food is gone in less than a minute and others that need 30 minutes to get it all. It just depends on the fish and their feeding behavior.

For me, the bigger challenge is finding the right balance of food that ensure that everyone gets fed. It is too easy to get only half the tank fed sometimes. Feed flake or floating pellets and the upper level fish can get it all before the bottom dwellers. Feed sinking pellets and some top level feeders won't get to eat unless you get the timing just right.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:53 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to crazy4fids
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalto View Post
Personally, I think it is experience. I think the key is to understand what the fish is supposed to look like. For most species there are pics of wild fish in their natural habitat. I use those pics as a guide. If my fish are fatter than that then I am feeding too much, bellies more hollowed than that then the need more food. Eventually you figure it out.

How old they are also matters. I am much more willing to overfeed juvenile fish a little while I would rather have full size adults on the healthy but hungry side.

I have found that there are no universal feeding amounts. I have some fish that all the food is gone in less than a minute and others that need 30 minutes to get it all. It just depends on the fish and their feeding behavior.

For me, the bigger challenge is finding the right balance of food that ensure that everyone gets fed. It is too easy to get only half the tank fed sometimes. Feed flake or floating pellets and the upper level fish can get it all before the bottom dwellers. Feed sinking pellets and some top level feeders won't get to eat unless you get the timing just right.
This is the dilemma that I struggle with. With a large (90 gallon) community, I often worry about the bottom feeder and the more shy fish (glass catfish) getting enough food. I do feed a large variety of food (flake, micro pellets, sinking wafers, algae wafers, shrimp pellets and frozen blood worms, brine shrimp and shelled frozen peas) as well as feeding after the light go off. I must be doing something right as nobody had died.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:15 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I never skip a day. I have this scoop leftover from a "betta treat wheel", it's very tiny. I arbitrarily decided to try two scoops twice a day. Plus one algae water a day for the Otos and snails. Watching the fish and the tank bottom helped confirm the amount.

I credit the ghost shrimp, dwarf loaches, and Malaysian trumpet snails with keeping things really clean too.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:23 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I feed my Otto's with algae wafers, problem is my Angels go and feed on it and finish up with a huge belly, not good, is there a way round this........??
Old 12-11-2014, 07:06 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I feed my Otto's with algae wafers, problem is my Angels go and feed on it and finish up with a huge belly, not good, is there a way round this........??

I have a similar problem trying to feed a BN in an African tank.

What I do is feed the Africans with their pellets first then, using tweezers, I grab some algae wafers and stick them into the Plec's lil hideout.

It's tough to know whether they're actually eating or not, I haven't physically seen the BN eat one wafer, they must be going somewhere though.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:50 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

I do a no feed day religiously every Monday for all my fish.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:05 AM   #14
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Every time I've tried a no feed day, the fish take it out on the plants. We have uneasy truce....
Old 12-11-2014, 08:47 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCXGT View Post
I have a similar problem trying to feed a BN in an African tank.

What I do is feed the Africans with their pellets first then, using tweezers, I grab some algae wafers and stick them into the Plec's lil hideout.

It's tough to know whether they're actually eating or not, I haven't physically seen the BN eat one wafer, they must be going somewhere though.

Good idea, I have a coconut hide, so will try that......thanks
Old 12-11-2014, 09:23 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

I feed every other day. If I'm going out of town for a couple days they get extra feedings the week prior. They also get an extra feeding if we have guests over and they are checking out the tanks.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Old 12-11-2014, 01:03 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

I skip on water day change through the week.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:33 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish Lover View Post
I skip on water day change through the week.
I thought about doing that but I clean the substrate well with my Python and think the ground dwellers may want a snack..........lol
Old 12-11-2014, 04:18 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

I skip a day once a week not always the same day. I also feed a wide variety of food from flake to frozen depending on what i feel like that day so amount is also varied.

Agreed that 3-5 min is way to long my fish are done eating in 1-2 min and all my fish are fat reference the belly in my avatar.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:32 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

LOL, yes R2, your avatar looks well fed, I worry that 3 to 5 is on most fish food details.....

Tags
feed, feeding

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com