Feeding schedule

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mommytron

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm looking for some advice about the feeding schedule of my fish. Right now they are eating peas twice a week, brine shrimp once a week, flakes 3 times a week, and fasting one day. is this acceptable? the reason they have peas twice a week right now is because my cardinal tetras tend to get bloated frequently. is two times a week for peas overkill? should i do peas once, and brine shrimp twice instead? thanks for all your input

oh, and the zucchini is for the pitbull pleco. should i be feeding him zucchini more often? he is always sucking on the wood and the walls, so i'm assuming there is algae there he is eating off.

Sunday afternoon: flakes
monday afternoon: flakes
tuesday evening: peas, zucchini
wednesday morning: brine shrimp, PWC in the afternoon
thursday:
friday afternoon: flakes
saturday evening: peas, zucchini

Last edited:
I do flakes, pellets, freeze dried brine shrimp, freeze dried tubifex worms, frozen bloodworms and peas. Monday through saturday, respectively. Sunday is my fasting day as well as pwc. Once or twice a week a throw in some algae waffers at night for Mr. Pleco, thats if the snails dont beat him to it.

I also throw shrimp pellets in the rotation every now and then. They are a pain though, I have to presoak them so the swell up so my fishies dont get backed up.

I have been presoaking their flakes for that reason as well. I stopped feeding anything freeze dried because it constipated them so badly. What kind of pellets do you use? Are there any other frozen foods I can use? I'd like to avoid anything freeze dried out of fear of constipation. I bought algae wafers for the pleco, but figured zucchini would be a bit more 'natural' and healthy. should i do both?

I use New Life Spectrum pellets. As for frozen, I like frozen mosquito larvae and krill. I have a ton of MTS and nerites so I feed both fresh veggies and waffers to make sure everyone gets a bite.

I feed: (community tank)
Sat-Wed~ flakes in the AM, micro pellets in the pm
Thur~ flakes in the AM, peas in the PM
Fri~ Flakes in the AM, bloodworms or brine shrimp in the PM with micro pellets
I don't fast my fish.

Thats a lot of feeding...
I feed Mon/Wed/Fri (flakes for the tropicals, pellets for the cichilids, bloodworms and pellets for the betta)
I then give them a treat on sunday with brine shrimp.

Why do you think it's alot of feeding? My fish are not overweight, (well except one that I think has a tumor :() they eat everything, and my tanks are clean. They are happy and so am I. I am sure they eat MUCH more in the wild. ;)

I feed Alejandro brine shrimp every day, sometimes I will skip a day but not intentionally ... :p . He gets snails for treats every other day. I am planning on trying some shrimp pellets to see if he will eat those as well. He is a fat happy fish and my water is super clean, when I do my weekly PWC's I vac the gravel and I don't even get a lot of debris at all.

Would it hurt if I tried to give him some peas? He isn't constipated but he might enjoy some veggies.

Oh and he nibbles on the bugs that get in the tank too lol

nice, he does eat the bugs?? i think peas are a good idea. it's good to have a variety of foods for them. a more balanced diet :D i think i am going to pick up some pellets as well.

I feed my fish peas every week, whether they are bloated or not. :) I have an apple slice in there right now for them to nibble on too, and just took the orange out yesterday.

I feed my fish peas every week, whether they are bloated or not. :) I have an apple slice in there right now for them to nibble on too, and just took the orange out yesterday.

Hmm apple slice...never thought of that. Great idea!

i modified the feeding schedule a bit. i would also like to introduce pellets of some type for a little more variety.

Back
Top Bottom