Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-27-2004, 01:34 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

feeding slow gouramis with quick tank mates

I have in my tank 2 red honey gouramis (both female), 6 rasboras, and 4 zebra danios. When I feed my fish both danios and the rasboras are quick to gobble up the food, however, the gouramis are often too slow to grab their share. And I'd rather not dump a lot at one time. How should I go about feeding all of my fish?

I have a feeding tray which I had the gouramis trained to fetch their food when I only had them with the rasboras. But the danios, which I recently purchased, are too quick to search the entire water surface for any sign of food and often get there before the gouramis.

Once in a while I drop in Wardley algea/spirulina sinking wafers, or fresh broccoli for my ottos which the gourami like somewhat.

Old 09-27-2004, 09:55 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
2 choices. put some food on one side of the tank and feed the gouramis on the other side. or feed things that dont break down very quick. like algae wafers... oh i guess you could move em if u want..

Old 09-27-2004, 09:56 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

You could try a feeding ring, which suctions to the side of the tank on the inside and flake or pellets stay inside it. The danios and rasboras will learn very quickly to feed within the ring. While they are busy you can feed the gouramis outside the ring, hopefully. This is a tricky problem!
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 12:31 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to madasafish
A tank divider for feeding time would also work. They're easily enough to find in the LFS.

Tags
feeding, gourami, gouramis, ick, tan, tank mates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com