feeding slow gouramis with quick tank mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SwerveDriver

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have in my tank 2 red honey gouramis (both female), 6 rasboras, and 4 zebra danios. When I feed my fish both danios and the rasboras are quick to gobble up the food, however, the gouramis are often too slow to grab their share. And I'd rather not dump a lot at one time. How should I go about feeding all of my fish?

I have a feeding tray which I had the gouramis trained to fetch their food when I only had them with the rasboras. But the danios, which I recently purchased, are too quick to search the entire water surface for any sign of food and often get there before the gouramis.

Once in a while I drop in Wardley algea/spirulina sinking wafers, or fresh broccoli for my ottos which the gourami like somewhat.

2 choices. put some food on one side of the tank and feed the gouramis on the other side. or feed things that dont break down very quick. like algae wafers... oh i guess you could move em if u want..

You could try a feeding ring, which suctions to the side of the tank on the inside and flake or pellets stay inside it. The danios and rasboras will learn very quickly to feed within the ring. While they are busy you can feed the gouramis outside the ring, hopefully. This is a tricky problem!

A tank divider for feeding time would also work. They're easily enough to find in the LFS.

Back
Top Bottom