Feeding snails to the clown loach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prettyvacant

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently got a clown loach. I have also been breeding some snails for a while now in a 2 gal. I have probably over 100 of them, and they are very tiny. The biggest is about __ . I want to feed some to my clown loach. So, do I just drop some baby snails into my 29 gal? Should I prepare them some how, like take them out of the shell? I think I read someone's post on here about this. Someone mentioned taking them out of the shell.

nope, just drop them in the tank, they will probably multiply unless the clown loach keeps them in check. My girlfriend got 3 small clown loaches in her 10 gallon tank beacuse she got some hitchhiking snails with some plants. Since she put them in, she has yet to see a snail again. She's going to move them to the 55 gallon tank when the outgrow the 10.
HTH
-Stewie

if for some really odd reason they dont eat the snails right away, you can slightly crush the snail and they'll figure it out :mrgreen:

yeah, they seem to figure it out pretty quick. I just dropped the loach into the tank and the snails disappeared in a week or so.

They don't live much past 24 hours if you just drop in 2 or 3.

My little female convict goes nuts for snails, so I bet your clown loach will figure it out no problem. :twisted: I don't mean to sound rude, but are you aware that clown loaches are schooling fish, and grow to about 12 inches?

Yes I am aware of this... I will eventually get another tank or bring this fish back to the store. I just wanted it for a bit so I can get rid of these snails that I have, since I have no use for them.

If you have most any botia loach in a tank with snails they will eat the snails. If you observe them in a planted tank they will even search most of your plants from top to bottom to find more snails whenever they are not rooting around in the gravel.

If you smash the snails first, you will find that most of your fish will enjoy some fresh meat and you don't need to worry about snails living in the tank. :D

yea but they are annoying as all heck with the stringy twisty feces they leave behind

Back
Top Bottom