feeding solutions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SavnLife

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all. Let me say I am so glad I stumbled on this site, a TON of great information for the beginner. I have my very first aquarium, and am enjoying it more every day. The question that puzzles me is feeding. I now have 6 medium size Tiger Barbs. The fish store is 70 miles away. when I purchased them the owner told me to feed "2 flakes per fish" two times per day. Is there a better way to "measure" as the flake sizes are quite different in size. Any one feeding the HIKARI Micro Pellets? it seems they would be much easier to consistently measure to prevent overfeeding..?? Thanks !!! Van

I would just drop in a small amount of food once a day. Watch them during feeding and see how much of that amount they eat. If they eat it all then add a little more the next day. Do this until there is left over food that settles to the bottom. Then you have a good basic amount to feed them. It isn't necessary that you feed them the same amount every day or that you even feed them every day. I generally leave a day of non feeding in my tanks per week.

Barbs tend to feed best when the flakes are mid level. I think those pellets float. A bit of food wil still make it to the bottom but I would get a gravel vacuum siphon if I were you and then you can use that during the weekly water change to get excess food off the bottom.

2 flakes per fish! Without knowing what size flake, well thats just ridiculous ;)

*grin* Seriously tho, there is no set amount; easiest way to figure it out is to add a wee bit and see if they eat it within 2-5 minutes. If so, you can add a little more next time. When it takes more then 5 mins for the fish to eat everything, cut back a little.

I haven't used Hikari Micro pellets, but I feed my guys just about everything else.

Oh, and do you have a handle on the nitrogen cycle? How long has your tank been set up/what size?

And lest I forget, welcome to Aquariumadvice :)

[center:a02150e1f0]:smilecolros: WELCOME to AA, SavnLife :smilecolros:[/center:a02150e1f0]

easiest way to figure it out is to add a wee bit and see if they eat it within 2-5 minutes.
I agree with Allivymar--that's the best way to make sure your fish are getting enough and as they grow, they will need a little more.

Lord...if I went by the two flake per fish rule, I'd starve my fish! My fish are such aggressive eaters (giant danios, buenos aries tetras esp). Even my male betta eats about six freeze dried bloodworms before he starts to lose interest! I think you just need to time and watch your fish until you learn what they eat until they are not interested in eating anymore. Then you can adjust the next time you feed them and see how that goes. :)

Heh, ,the lfs guy was prolly just erring for the side of cautions assuming you would feed them more anyway.... :lol:

I tell my son to fed each fish portion the size of their eyeball.
I used to say "eye", but he took me metaphorically and nearly popped his greedy betta. 8O

I use the micropellets but the one who loves those best is my largest resident...the ghost knife. Few of the tetras bother. The largest clown eats them too. Go figger. I got them for tetras :) and young bettas.

Hi and welcome - You will get a feel for it as you go along! We usually give our fish 2 pinches of food every night - they aren't really very interested in eating in the morning - as you get to know your fish you will be able to estimate better what is right for them!

We use the micropellets in the neon tank and they love them. It is easier to overfeed with them though since you really can't 'pinch" them, we sort of pour them in our hands and sprinkle from the palm.

Our bettas eat nothing but those hard little pellet things, and we sort of feed them by number...like three or four at a feeding.

The others tend to prefer Tetramin flakes, but we've fed other stuff. We haven't done the bloodworms or anything yet, though.

A pinch is a good estimate, and everyone is right, watch your fish and you'll learn how much is a good amount.

Shoot, I'd go nuts if I had to count out two flakes for each fish...we've got about 25 fish now!

Back
Top Bottom