Feeding time!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jfussell

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What is your feeding SOP? And what is your fishy’s favorite food? IMG_2255.jpg

J
I use Omega One products. Cichlid flakes and micro pellets. Tetra makes a pretty good floating cichlid pellet product. Got to be careful feeding your Africans bloodworms. I learned the hard way. The Africans don't do well digesting high protein foods. I lost two beautiful Peacocks to Malawi Bloat, due to bloodworms.

J

I use Omega One products. Cichlid flakes and micro pellets. Tetra makes a pretty good floating cichlid pellet product. Got to be careful feeding your Africans bloodworms. I learned the hard way. The Africans don't do well digesting high protein foods. I lost two beautiful Peacocks to Malawi Bloat, due to bloodworms.

No problems yet I’ve always favored several small feedings over large ones. Do you use meal worms? I use beef-heart ground and pressed out for the Oscars. My butcher presses it flat on to wax paper for storage. The Ciclids get the small pieces. None of it drops to mid level of the tank....lol

Other than the Omega One foods, the kids and I catch grasshoppers and crickets to occassionally feed them. Still warm here in Ok. Bugs readily available. Beef heart is a longtime standard with Discus, I'm sure equally as great with Oscars.
I've got to be careful With live foods. Many of my cichlids have the potential to grow exceptionally large. My 120 gal. display tank is more suited For healthy 9" cichlids rather than healthy 12" ones. The dry foods will likely keep my fish at their normal minimum size, feeding
supper nutrious food like beefheart would likely push them upwards in size.
My wife is not likely to go for a new 200 gal tank anytime soon.

J

I use meal worms as well. What’s your feeling on them. You can control individual growth by tank population (except Oscars..lol) as well. I had to fatten them up after they were malnourished at Walmart. All are filling out well. They seem prefer baby shrimp the best and of course TetraMin. I remember when that became available a long time ago. Then it was revolutionary then. Never lost a fish to bloat. Closest I came was trying algae tablets that my “pig” leopard catfish ate whole. He survived but floundered in a corner of the tank for three days...

I've never fed meal worms but my guess is that they are probably very nutritious. I recently watched a YouTube of a local cichlid breeder that spoke negatively about feeding frozen blood worms. He had some type of intestinal parasite outbreak and lost several expensive fish. He attributed the disaster to bloodworms. I've feed them with no problems.
I agree that a crowded tank should have some impact on at least slowing fish growth.
I like Oscars too. Big, colorful and somewhat mellow for a big cichlid.

Back
Top Bottom