Feeding Vegetables

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gboy66

Aquarium Advice Addict
Have an angel, tetras, hatchets, a peacock eel, and a featherfin cat. Any suggestions on a treat? They get tons of variety in food, 2 different types of wafers, flakes, bloodworms throughout the week. I want to add some vegis in their diets, so any ideas? Cooked or raw? Shelled or not?

You could try some blanched cucumber or shelled peas. These are the ones that pop in my mind first. Granted, it sounds like your fish are on an awesome diet!

adadkins1 said:
You could try some blanched cucumber or shelled peas. These are the ones that pop in my mind first. Granted, it sounds like your fish are on an awesome diet!

Thank you! :) and is blanching just boiling it for a minute? Should i take out remains or vegis, or just add fewer so that they are all eaten? Maybe add 2 or 3?

stingrays4 said:
Hi try frozen foods,nice and safe and the fish love it:fish2:. I feed courgette to my B/Ns

Oh i do. Frozen bloodworms 2 times a week. But i thought i should add some vegis? Somthing id have at home

Hi sounds like you fish are getting a nice good mix now:). You could try garden peas. Just gently squeeze the skin off and see if they eat it or not? If you feed a good quality flake food then your fish are getting all the goodness they need,but well done for spoiling them after all i think i would get bored of the same food day after day(y) Your catfish would probably enjoy the odd garden worm:fish1:

stingrays4 said:
Hi sounds like you fish are getting a nice good mix now:). You could try garden peas. Just gently squeeze the skin off and see if they eat it or not? If you feed a good quality flake food then your fish are getting all the goodness they need,but well done for spoiling them after all i think i would get bored of the same food day after day(y) Your catfish would probably enjoy the odd garden worm:fish1:

Haha a worm! That would be funny to see if the fish would actually want it! Should i blanch the pea, and remove it after it is mostly eaten?

Hi just give the worm a quick rinse under the tap to get rid of most of the dirt,and then drop it in near your catfish and watch:fish2:,if anything like mine it will go crazy for it:fish2:. Always remove any uneaten veggie food after 24 hours, that's if there's any left:)

stingrays4 said:
Hi just give the worm a quick rinse under the tap to get rid of most of the dirt,and then drop it in near your catfish and watch:fish2:,if anything like mine it will go crazy for it:fish2:. Always remove any uneaten veggie food after 24 hours, that's if there's any left:)

Really abt the worm? Thats cool!

Try grating some iceberg lettuce no blanching need just rinse under the tap then grate or finely finely chop and that's it! All my fish and lobster go crazy for it!

...joey... said:
Try grating some iceberg lettuce no blanching need just rinse under the tap then grate or finely finely chop and that's it! All my fish and lobster go crazy for it!

The green tips? And i bought some mysis shrimp today :D more variety!

zuchini is the way to go, my pleco sucked a hole through a slice over night and my tiger barbs wouldnt stop nibbling on it either

I have smaller fish so maybe it's different for them but most of them do eat the shelled pea I feed once a week. I tried a cucumber for the first time tonight but most of them didn't go for it. They get a variety as it is (NLS pellets, shrimp pellets, frozen Daphnia and Shrimp (haven't tried bloodworms yet), algae wafers, etc) but it's fun to try new things and see what they like. :)

librarygirl said:
I have smaller fish so maybe it's different for them but most of them do eat the shelled pea I feed once a week. I tried a cucumber for the first time tonight but most of them didn't go for it. They get a variety as it is (NLS pellets, shrimp pellets, frozen Daphnia and Shrimp (haven't tried bloodworms yet), algae wafers, etc) but it's fun to try new things and see what they like. :)

Ya it is! And i reccomend blood worms. Its hilarious bec my angel is a faty and tries to eat worms that arent thawed from the cube yet, so he keeps sucking it it, spitting it out, sucking it in, spitting it out haha. Do you reccoment 1 pea or two?

Back
Top Bottom