feeding veggies to bristlenose plecos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gheitman

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was given some juvenile bristlenose plecos (aka Ancistrus) recently and in addition to the algae in the tank I would like to supplement their diet with veggies. What is the best way to prepare cucumbers and zucchini for feeding these fish as well as some otos I have in other tanks?

I simply slice about a 1/4" thick piece of cucumber/zuchini, rinse it with tap water, stab it with a fork, and sit it on the bottom of the tank. I remove it after ~24 hours so it doesn't fall apart in the tank.

Ah. I didn't know why people recommended blanching veggies. I thought perhaps that it softens the veggie.

they will eat all kinds of things....

img_912857_0_01ec56870b4a61623e47b127e44359cd.jpg

try different foods worst that can happen is they dont eat them.... also done apricots. my fish water goes to the trees they make some wonderful fruit the ones that fall or has bugs get cut up for fish food.

img_912867_0_4143ebcaef28faad49b2e3313bcd7678.jpg

Right now I am feeding the bristlenose plecos slices of raw zucchini and they appear to like it. I'm going to try some sliced raw cucumbers as well.

Back
Top Bottom