Feelings on the Bio Wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsilvers

Aquarium Advice Regular
We are trying it now, but it doesn't always spin. Directions say that's ok, there is still biological action going on. We keep the water level high enough to help it spin, but I worry that it's not doing enough...

How long have you had the bio-wheel set-up in your tank? When you first get the bio-wheel, you may have to change the filters more often. This is because it takes a little while for the bio-wheel to accumulate the bacteria needed to help it perform at its best. Once the bio-wheel gets established, the wheel won't spin continually...and that is fine, also you will find that you don't have to change the filter pads as often. If it's not spinning all the time now, I don't see that as being a problem, just double check that you have the wheel sitting right in the filter.

I have a bio-wheel on both my 10 gal and my 46 gal tanks. I love them! If you want, you can also add activated carbon...that's a personal preference.

I would love to add activated carbon. We did that with our canister filter on our 55. Every little bit helps. How did you do it? The bio wheel is new. It's about three weeks old. It spins and stops, spins and stops. The back filter is slightly dirty, but not very much at all. I believe it is set up right. The filter pad (fuzzy blue part) is facing away from the wheel. the wheel slides onto the angled part and spins... Let me know how you did activated carbon in this filter and I will do it tonight.

There is activated carbon in the removable cartridges...Black Diamond I think is the brand of activated carbon they use. However, some people choose to add more..there is space behind the cartridges for this...either dump in the carbon, or you can use those mesh bags they sell at the lfs. I am not 100% sure, but I think it may say in the instructions how to add the caron in if you wanted to...it's been a while since I had a look at them though.

Check out the 2 little slots that the wheel sits in. There should be a little black plastic bearing you can slide up and out in both. If one or both are missing, it can make the wheel not spin right. I had this prob with one of my bio-wheels. I called Marineland, and they sent a replacement for free right away!

I've discovered, after having bio-wheels on 3 of my tanks, they ARE supposed to move freely initially. They do not start the hesitant movement until they are fully colonised. If they are not moving freely initially, one wants to take care of that, as they may not move at all once they are colonised (the build-up affects the free movement; if its initially impaired it can make it impossible for the water flow to move the wheel).

As I said before, I had a prob with one of my bio-wheels. Was on my 2 wheel Emperor 400; one would spin easily, the other would stop n start. When I called Marineland to find out why (I had switched wheels, and only the right one would stick...didn't make a diff which wheel was in it), I discovered the fact there are those little plastic bearings in there, and there should be one on each side. I was missing one, and replacing it made all the difference in the world. It now moves freely and smoothly.

I would also like to add that the trays they give u for the emperor 400 to add ur own filter media (like carbon or ammonia filltering chips), DON'T add those media without a mesh bag, esp the ammonia. Otherwise the media will slowly be ground into smaller particles and back into the aquarium water, which is NOT very good for the fish.

Only the larger penguins have the extra media compartments. I don't know if yours does or not, so adding extra carbon may not be an option for you.

at first my brand new bio wheel didnt spin either. I think i turned only the wheel around, and it worked. Also, i dont know what model yours is, but on mine, the wheel will stop spinning when it needs a new bag. If the water is pouring out of the area where the tube that sucks in the water connects to the unit, then that is a sure sign of a new bag needed. (i have penguin 125 in both of my 20 gals.)

Back
Top Bottom