Female Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Starka

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok, another betta question. :p

This is the first time I've ever had a female bettas. In the past I have only had male bettas, so I am not sure if this is normal or not. I know that male bettas have made bubblenests when they are happy or are wanting a mate.
My spunky female has now made bubblenest on her side of the 15 gal tank. Is that normal?
I was watching how she was making it this morning, I think it is pretty cool that they just come up with that. They probably have never seen it done, but they always know excatly what to do. :)
The picture doesn't do it justice, earlier when I opened up the lid it had moved the bowl keeping up the divider and basicly destroyed her all her bubbles, but she has rebuild!

Attachments

• IMG_0141.jpg
    IMG_0141.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 124
While it MIGHT be a case of a female blowing a bubble nest, it's much more likely that you either have a Plakat or a juvenile male.

Do you have a picture of her/him?

The more I look at him/her/it looks more male to me. This one looks alot different then my other male or female. When I bought the females they were both "supposed" to be veil bettas, but gotten at different stores. My other female you can see her strips when stressed or when she sees the other fish. This one is so dark I can't tell. Also Ive never seen a young male betta before, so who knows?
Still love it the same. I think its cool that at the edge of the fins are black and clear. And if it is male I got it a dollar off compaired to the other males :)

Attachments

• IMG_0146.jpg
    IMG_0146.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0152.jpg
    IMG_0152.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_0153.jpg
    IMG_0153.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 98
That is most definitely a he. A female generally wouldn't be as colorful, paired with the bubblenesting behavior, I would say you have another male. A very healthy and happy male. :)

The long ventral fins scream male to me. If all else fails, you can check with the betta experts at ultimatebettas.com for another (and probably more informed) opinion.

UltimateBettas

I will agree with you guys. No wonder when I tried to put him and my little female they didn't get along. And now I'm just teasing him with them both in the same tank. Explains the bubblenest. Lol
Thanks everyone!

I am thinking Definitely a Male. The main kicker to me is that most dark colored females will occasionally show vertical "happy" bars or horizontal stress bars. If your not seeing any bars and there is a bubble nest then it's probably a male. Females don't typically make bubblenests, although nothing is impossible.

While researching and looking at photos, I believe my little female is actually a male. Most likely the short finned or plakat. This has really turned into my favor and I can actually "try" to get another female to put in the tank. Now that I know what ones I need to advoid, so I don't end up with another male. lol
When I first googled "plakat" it gave me information about people breeding and fighting betta. I knew that people fought dogs and chickens, but fish? Thats sad. :(

Back
Top Bottom