female betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaqs2themax

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I would like to start keeping female betta and would like some advice on the best way to do it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

welcome to AA!!!!

A singular female betta, or multiple female bettas?

If its just ONE female betta may I suggest a 5-10gal with a filter and heater =o)

Someone else will come along and give some better advice

it is hit or miss on female bettas. Some are aggressive, some aren't. I've heard horror stories, but I have three well behaved females in my 55 gallon (*knock on wood*). However, two aren't full grown so that may be a factor.

I personally believe that you can keep several female bettas in one tank without any problems.

Your tank should have adequate filtration with a heater. Bettas don't like heavy water flow. Other then that, they don't need any special requirements.

you can keep famales in the same way that you could keep a male, except that with some docile ones you can keep them together. If you are going to keep them together you need atleast 3 so they can establish a pecking order and they need to be in atleast a 10 gallon so they have enought room to make their own territory. I think 3 in a 5 gallon would be asking for trouble. I have 6 in a 10 gallon. Its overstocked but I do lots of water changes and I have a 30 gallon filter on the back. When I had 3 in the 10 gallon they got along fine but now that ive added the other 3 they bicker quite a bit. Im hoping they are still working out their pecking order. i think if you had one in a community tank that would be fine too.

Yes, as sugarloves said it is best (if you wish to house multiple female bettas together) to have more than two so that the dominant female focus all her efforts on just one other betta and kill it, it also helps to have a planted tank or somewhere for the bettas to hide so that while the pecking order is being established they can have a place to escape to and hide.
Also the big factor to consider is personality as bettas have personalities that range greatly from one to the next.

I recommend only keeping 1 female betta in a 5 gallon tank.
Bettas like a sand substrate becasue when agigtated may hit gravel and damage their fins.
Bettas love a planted tank.
Bettas like high temps so a heater would be appreciated.
Try a Penguin Mini HOB filter, hint raise the filter intake tube a little to lower the current speed as bettas hate current.

HTH

Dan :)

It's my experience that females do fine with current, they may not like it at first but they get used to it pretty quickly. Either keep 1 or 3+. 3 will be fine in a 10 gallon as long as none are overly aggressive. A little fighting (especially during feeding) is expected but it shouldn't be constant and no one should actually get hurt.

A male and female betta should NEVER be kept together except for spawning. Even then they are only kept together for a day are so and once done the female is removed. A male and female WILL FIGHT TO THE DEATH. Dont ever keep them together. Not to mention that a 2 gallon is only large enough to keep 2 inches of fish. Thats equivlent to one betta. If youre going for a two gallon decide on a male or a female and only get one.

Lets recap:
Dont put 2 males together
Dont put 2 females together
3-6 females can be kept together in a 10 gallon or larger
Feshwater fish need a gallon of water per inch.

I would say go for atleast a 5 gallon tank becuase u can heat them easily and maybe get a female betta and a couple of cory cats (which need to be in groups of 3 or more. Pigmy cories would be great for this tank because they are only about an inch each). You could get a couple of adfs or snails in place of the cory cats. Be forewarned, adfs require special meal time attention. They arent for lazy owners.

feeding female bettas

I also need to know about the best feeding practices, is it the same as a male betta? How warm should I keep the water.? Are live plants better?

same "betta pellats" found in most pet departments and LFS.
75-83 degrees, I prefer 80
I think live plants are always better, they help oxygenate the water and they won't tear your betta's fins.

When picking out plants for your betta tank, go with silk plants, so they don't rip their fins. This is a bigger problem for the males, but the little females can get hurt too. My female betta loves frozen foods, such as blood worms, daphnia and mytsis shrimp. She also eats flakes, pellets, peas~just about anything I put in the tank, except zucchini.

Back
Top Bottom